Author Topic: USER WMS  (Read 4092 times)

mattmaxon

• View Profile
USER WMS
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »
 Los Angeles County CA (2006) http://ims.cr.usgs.gov/servlet/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_StateLocal?

So I'd like to get this working

If I get the instructions correctly I need to trim off the http:// and put the server address into the server field

Server: ims.cr.usgs.gov

the remainder should be in the request field

request: /servlet/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_StateLocal?

Unfortunately it still doesn't work

Using NRL's GIDB Thin Client I can access this layer in my IE7 browser

Matt

mattmaxon

• View Profile
Re: USER WMS
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »
This is the test of the error message I get

I'm assuming this won't work because the tiles are not Gif or Jepg

Custom WMS server returned response that was not jpeg or gif                 . Disabling internet downloading       (renable on toolbar    )
   First 1000   byes  :

HTTP  /1 .1 404  Not Found
  Content   -Length  : 6807
  Content   -Type  : text /html

Server  : Microsoft  -IIS /6.0
  X -Powered   -By : ASP  .NET
  Date  : Mon  , 07 Dec   2009 18  :17 :40  GMT
  Connection    : close

< html >
  < head  >
  < title> The page cannot be found        < /titl>
                                                                 You Won                                                              !
  < style >
  /* ===    OFFICIAL USGS STYLE SHEET          ===

This CSS has been approved by all applicable parties and is subject to change                ...with prior notice  . This CSS is meant to provide a consistent look and feel across all USGS Web pages and can be used in
  conjunction with the custom       .css file and any additional style sheets of your own         .

DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE IN ANY WAY               .

You can customize the banner image and site title properties ONLY by making the changes in the custom                        .css file. Refer to the custom     .css file for specific instructions  .
  ===   END DISCLAIMER NOTICE           ===*/

/* ===    STANDARD HEADER         ===*/

.bannerColorBand       {
              font : 14 px Verdana    , Arial, Helvetica  ,sans  -serif;

width  : 100%   ;
              height  : 5.14 em  ;
              background    -color : #006633    ;
  }
  .banner    {
              background

Continue showing this message         ? (Answer NO to disable it for this session       ).

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Hi,

One reason you are getting maps is that you aren't selecting any map layers to display.  If you do a get capabilities request, it'll return this:

http://ims.cr.usgs.gov/WMS_Capabilities/USGS_EDC_Ortho_StateLocal/capabilities_1_3_0.xml

You can see a number of layers there, so you would then need to add some of the <name> elements of the layers you want to the 'request' string.  Eg:

wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_StateLocal?Layers=CA_LosAngelesCounty_0.3048m_Color_Jan_2006_2&CA_LosAngelesCounty_0.3048m_Color_Jan_2006_1&CA_SanDiegoCounty_0.3048m_Color_Jan_2006_1&VERSION=1.1.1&FORMAT=image/jpeg

The server also needed a version parameter and an image format type.  However, right now it is giving 'service unavailable' and other errors that don't have anything to do with the request string.  Hopefully it'll start working, maybe by the time you add the request string above and give it a shot.

Let us know how it goes.  I really hope to make this easier (e.g. selecting from available layers) in the future.

Thanks.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

alimamo

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »
Hi Scott,

Any progress on the "easy method" of adding WMS servers?

Here I was about to write a message in frustration about trying to get this WMS server to work:
http://geoweb.hft-stuttgart.de/opendtm.html
but then I couldn't leave it undone and kept plugging away. I finally got some progress. Though I am still not sure I am getting all I can. Do I need to add all the contour layers on one server request? Or should each layer have its own WMS and request?

Here is what I am using now:
Server:    geoweb.hft-stuttgart.de
Request:  /cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/SRTM/test.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=epsg:4326&LAYERS=Contourlinien10&Contourlinien50&Contourlinien100&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/jpeg&TRANSPARENT=FALSE

But I am not sure I am getting the 50 and/or the 100 meter sets. Could you have a look if you have time and let me know if I am correct?

Anyway, this is only SRTM data, but it could be a boon to those not covered by the current map tile sets. Maybe you can add it to the default map tiles if the server holds up and you think it might be useful.

(Quick edit before I go to sleep. If I change the format to gif and the transparent to true, would I be able to create a merged mapset with the Landsat images I can get here in Korea?)

Sincerely,

Robert
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:17:34 AM by alimamo »

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:16:46 PM »
Hi,

That's a pretty cool server -- topo lines from SRTM data, so for almost the whole world.

I used your string and am getting tiles, but also occasionally an error message.  Do you get that too?  Seems odd since it loads maps for a while, then decides it doesn't like the request string?

I have not yet added easier WMS support (layer picker, basically).  I've just done a few things to make the request string handling a bit more robust.

Looking at the getcapabilities for that server I think you've got it.  With the 10 meter first it should draw that, and then if that isn't available, go to the higher layers.

The server seems a little slow, but let me know what you think of it and if you keep seeing errors.  I'll try it again later in case it's just a temporary hiccup.

Oh, and your question about transparent gif -- no unfortunately it doesn't work that way.  Transparent will only function within a WMS server itself, so it's for combining maps on a single server.  I do plan to implement combo mode for landsat (lat/lon projected) maps, and if this server turns out to be good, it would be good motivation. 

Thanks for the post.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

alimamo

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:31:13 AM »
I actually haven't gotten any errors from that server. At least not any that show up through normal TopoFusion use.

But you are right, it can be rather slow and finicky. I have had a couple of times where single tiles will not load no mater how many times I left-click to reload them. They only finally showed up after I selected and did a batch download of them.

And always looking forward to more features. :-)

Safe rides and jama rek,

Robert