Author Topic: topofusion and vista hcx  (Read 4723 times)

aaron w

• View Profile
topofusion and vista hcx
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
Just got TF and a garmin vista hcx.  Do I need to install the software that came with the unit ("garmin trip and waypoint manager)?  Or will I just be doing everything with TF?

I've love the TF software so far!  Thanks, Aaron

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: topofusion and vista hcx
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
Probably no need for the "trip and waypoint" manager.  However, you will need the Garmin USB driver that is on that CD.  It's also available from Garmin.com, or may come with newer versions of Windows.  Otherwise TF should be all you need!
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

derelict

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:09:48 AM »
I also use the Vista HCx, and it worked out of the box with TF, on Windows 7 32-bit.  I didn't need the Garmin driver or anything.

aaron w

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
Oh boy I would really appreciate some help with a problem I'm having.  I can't upload tracks from tf to my unit.  I've been able to do this in the past, but not now.  I can download tracks from my unit to TF, but once they are in TF I cannot upload them back. 

I'm not sure what has changed.  For example when I first got my etrex I was immediately able to upload the track for the CTR, now I can't do that anymore. 

I'm getting 2 error msgs when I try to do this:

No valid garmin usb devices found, removable drives found, but none with requires GarminDevice.xml file.

and

error initializing com/usb port.  check for other programs using port and that the device is connected and turned on.  If you are using a gamin gps unit you may not have the usb drivers installed......then an address of where to install drivers which I have tried. 

Any advice is much appreciated.  I understand that this is very likely not a TF issue.  Thanks, aaron

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19:41 PM »
That is very strange -- you can download tracks but get those errors when you try to upload?

I'd try a hard reset of the unit, and then updating the firmware on the unit (using webupdater from Garmin's site).  See if that helps at all.

Almost always if you can download and TF can see it, you can upload too.  Good luck.

aaron w

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
Scott, thanks a lot for your fast response.  Well after much experimentation I've got things working again. 

When I've wanted to upload/download I have on my vista hcx been going to setup and then to interface to "connect" the unit to the computer.  I think this is my problem.  For some reason that works fine for downloading tracks from the gps but not for uploading tracks to the gps from TF.  Now I don't hit "interface" at all and I can simply upload/download tracks. 

I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more dumb questions.  Next up I'm confused about elevations in track profile and climbing analysis (I've read the user manual) but I'll save that for later!

Thanks again, Aaron

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »
Ah ha!  I should have thought of that.

You are right that TF will load up GPX files (your whole history actually) when it is in USB mode (after hitting the Connect button).  But you won't be able to upload anything.

Glad you sorted it out, and thanks for following up with the explanation here.

Happy to help on elevation issues too...