Author Topic: Quirks  (Read 4921 times)

KenF

• View Profile
Quirks
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »
Things I have noticed but that are not entirely consistent.
When they happen they are annoying.
I may have mentioned this before.
There seems to be a common issue of "Cursor" - well loosely anyhow.
(1) Cursor does not always stay tied to menu selection. The one I have noticed numerous times is the "Pan" cursor showing  when the "Zoom" tool is active  (or maybe its the other way around).
(2) Points selected with the "Select points" tool do not always stay highlighted even though the cursor shows as the "crossed 4-way arrow."

(3) The subject of how  a "selection rectangle" should work has been raised before.  Note the inconsistency between the "select points" rectangle which works (predictably) corner-to-corner,  in contrast  to the  "zoom box" tool which seems to work in some other strange fashion. I vote (again) for making them both work like the select points box. (And/or like a Photoshop "fixed aspect ratio"  selection box when trying to match the monitor's  aspect ratio).

Lest there be any confusion, I constantly whine abouts details because I constantly use TF.  Don't know what I would do without it. ;) 

KenF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Quirks
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
1 - I think it's the other way 'round, but you are right I see it sometimes, and it's just been one of those nagging things I can't figure out.  If you ever notice a pattern to it or find a repeatable procedure, please let me know!

2 - Yep, noticed that too.  Ditto here.

3 - I agree that the way it works right now is odd and non-standard.  I think a fixed aspect like photoshop would be a great improvement.  I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the great feedback, as always.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

Probabilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:40:09 AM »
While on the topic of quirks - here's an inconsistency.

In the "files" window at the bottom of the screen, the globe file icon changes to red when the gpx file is edited but not yet saved.  This is good.  Not so when a file is created using "Make Network". The file icon is different and does not change color when it is edited and not yet saved.  It's a very minor issue, but is inconsistent behavior.

It got me when I started working with "networked" files after using TF with regular gpx files for some time.  Eventually I figured out the inconsistency and how to edit the "networked" gpx file to make it a regular gpx file.

I have also noticed items 1 and 2 of the original post.

Bill

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »
1 - I think it's the other way 'round, but you are right I see it sometimes, and it's just been one of those nagging things I can't figure out.  If you ever notice a pattern to it or find a repeatable procedure, please let me know!

Yes, "Zoom" cursor shows when "Pan" tool is active.
It is presently doing this consistently for me although I don't know when it started or have any really useful info for tracking it down.

KenF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »
Took care of 2 and 3 in the latest beta.  Thanks guys.

Still haven't been able to track down #1.  Would love any info that reproduces it!  I'm sure it's something easy to fix, just have to figure out what causes it.

jeremy_c

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:27:34 AM »
Mine is doing it now. I restart the app and it still has the zoom cursor. When I right click it turns to a hand for a split second before changing to the normal arrow cursor for selecting a menu item. Of course, when I select a menu item the cursor goes back to the zoom cursor. Changing to another tool and back to the pan tool does not fix the problem.

I do not remember what I did to make this happen. I am on version 4.20 Pro and on Windows 7.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
Thanks for the report, Jeremy.  I still occasionally see strange pointer behavior but it is never reproducible for me.  If you find a pattern to it, please let me know!