Author Topic: Profile elevation gain vs. barometric GPSr elevation gain  (Read 2753 times)

montejw360

• View Profile
Profile elevation gain vs. barometric GPSr elevation gain
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
I did a ride this weekend, my eTrex recorded 6500' of gain.  I ran a profile/playback on the track and TF Pro came up with 8500' of gain.  It's a 36 mile track with a few loops on itself, it's a small area and I wanted to get some miles in.  Is TF Pro calculating the gain from the digital elevation info, or from the gpx file?  It looks like there's an elevation component to the gpx file, but in meters?

Monte

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Profile elevation gain vs. barometric GPSr elevation gain
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »
It's computing it straight from the GPX file, with no filtering or attempt to tone it down.  Nearly always reports a higher number than the GPS itself does (which, in most cases is a little low, IMO).

Try the 'climbing analysis' dialog to try some different things (and sources of data).  More stuff along these lines (including more accurate elevation computation from DEMs) coming soon.

Right, GPX stores elevation in meters.  You can overwrite it with DEM data if you want, or use the data recorded by the unit (what's there now).
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com