Author Topic: New User Question: Garmin 500 with ANT+ PowerTap data shows 'no data'  (Read 3936 times)

TimA

• View Profile
I looked through the forum and could not find any help on this subject.  I might be missing something simple - and would appreciate any help - or let me know if there is an existing thread on this subject...thanks

I am exporting a .tcx file from GarminConnect.  This file already has the Power data contained in it (at least it does in GarminConnect).

However, when I open the file in TF and view the file properties>track points it shows all time periods of power as 'no data'...

When I go to map>profile>power the info panel shows power at 'no data' but with vertical shading - it is graphing something, but there is no color key that I could find, so I have no idea what is being plotted.  In any case when I use the playback function the power field always says 'no data'.

I must be missing something simple.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: New User Question: Garmin 500 with ANT+ PowerTap data shows 'no data'
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Hey Tim,

Sorry for the late reply on this one, just catching up with computer stuff after traveling over the holiday weekend.

Can you email me the TCX export file from GC?  The power data may be in a different place, or perhaps they have gone to a new schema.  I'll see what I can figure out and if it's a problem on our side, get it working in the next version, for sure.

Thanks.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

TimA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
Thanks Scott,

You may have already noticed this after your post... but the Garmin Edge 500 .tcx file you want was attached in the first post. 

This was exported from Garmin Connect.  If you want another .tcx export from Garmin TC I could send that as well, but for me anyway the results were the same.  Let me know,

Thanks,

Tim

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
Tim,

Oops, sorry about that.  Sure enough there is no power data in that file whatsoever.  So my first guess it that it's just not coming out from Garmin Connect.  Do you have a link to the activity?

TimA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »
No Problem Scott,

Here is the Garmin Link:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47363126

Thanks,

Tim

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
Alright, if I export your activity I do get a file that has power data in it.  However, TF is not reading it -- for some reason they have changed to a different extension.  Frustrating, but easy to fix for the next version.

The attached file will load with the power data (500+ Watts?  Nice). 

My suggestion until I get the next release out is to use Garmin Training Center instead of Connect to download and export to TCX.  From what I've read GTC should use the old accepted format.

There is also an easy way to convert a TCX from Garmin Connect to a TCX that TF will read the power from -- just a simple replace all command (open the file in notepad).  Replace "ns3:Watts" with "Watts".

That's what I did for the file that is attached.

Hope that helps some.

[attachment deleted by admin]

TimA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delayed response...and THANK YOU for your analysis.  I will do what you suggested until the next release.  It is quite easy to do that in the interim.

Thanks for the 500+ Watts compliment!  The file has some big fluctuations in power as I rotate through a paceline.  But now that I can see the power profile graph, the y-axis power grid has a max power of 500W, so all power over 500 is being truncated on the graph...I could not find a way to change this in options>settings. Is there some way for me to adjust that?

Thanks again!

Tim