Author Topic: how do I update my aerial map  (Read 3111 times)

Roborro

• View Profile
how do I update my aerial map
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »
When I plot my path at our local trails but the map is not up-to-date.  It is missing all landmarks that will help me later on down the road.

Thank you

Roborro

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: how do I update my aerial map
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »
Have you tried looking at color aerials instead of black and white?  The color shots are more up-to-date in most cases.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

Roborro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »
Scott thank you however I guess I just did not give you the bigger picture.  Where I ride is being under development so they have added water towers and houses.  Is it my garmin that puts the map into Topo or is satellites already part of TOPO's program?  If so how do I get updated satellites?

Thank you again

Roborro

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
  Is it my garmin that puts the map into Topo or is satellites already part of TOPO's program?  If so how do I get updated satellites?

GPS Satellites and aerial imagery are two (mostly) unrelated things.

Your Garmin picks up satellite signals that it interprets to figure out a location on the face of the earth. There is no imagery involved.

TopoFusion (the name of the excellent product that this site is dedicated to) takes this position data from your GPSr  and overlays it on imagery that was previously created as maps or aerial photos (mostly taken from aircraft) and is accessible in various locations on the web as stored images. There is no "eye in the sky" providing "real time" images like you might expect to get from a weather satellite. So until that exists and is accessible to the general public (which it undoubtedly will be at some time, but don't hold your breath) all imagery will lag behind what may actually exist on the ground, often by many years.

But you can create your own maps or mark features with waypoints and tracks.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
KF