Author Topic: Heart Rate - Garmin Oregon  (Read 11218 times)

KenF

• View Profile
Heart Rate - Garmin Oregon
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
Are there any specific tricks for configuring an Oregon and/or TF to have heart rate recorded? It's showing up on the screen of the unit but is missing from the corresponding recorded track.

KenF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Heart Rate - Garmin Oregon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:43:34 PM »
No tricks that I know of -- the data should be there in the GPX file.  Have a look at the GPX and double check that it is there (it should be pretty obvious, the string surrounding the data is quite long).

Are you using TF to download the track?  It's possible it's getting lost in that saving process.  Maybe check the GPX on the unit itself for HR values.  I will test with my Dakota and HR strap on my next couple rides.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
No tricks that I know of -- the data should be there in the GPX file.  Have a look at the GPX and double check that it is there (it should be pretty obvious, the string surrounding the data is quite long).

Are you using TF to download the track?  It's possible it's getting lost in that saving process.  Maybe check the GPX on the unit itself for HR values.  I will test with my Dakota and HR strap on my next couple rides.

Hmmm... Yes, using TF. The GPX file ends up being plain vanilla - no HR data (not like the example file w/HR you sent me a while back).     

I have posed the same question to Garmin tech support.
KenF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
What about the GPX on the unit itself?  Look for Current.gpx in Garmin/GPX or maybe Garmin/GPX/Current

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
What about the GPX on the unit itself?  Look for Current.gpx in Garmin/GPX or maybe Garmin/GPX/Current

Yup. It's there. Both in the "Current" GPX file (which has not been deleted since I got the unit) and in a "saved portion" containing the last brief experimental snippet. Alas, TF does not pick up the HR data from the same snippet.

Let me clarify - TF does not pick up the HR data when the snippet is chosen in the "merge/delete downloaded tracks" box. TF does read the HR data properly by loading the snippet's GPX file from the unit.

KenF  

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:39:11 PM by KenF »

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »
Hmm, I just tried it on my Dakota, and all seemed well.  In the merge/delete tracks dialog did it ask you to save as a TCX file?  That is the default when part of the track has HR or CAD data.

Somehow the HR data is getting stripped in there for an Oregon, I guess.  I'm not coming up with anything that could be different, but I'll keep thinking.  I'm pretty sure you have a recent version of TF, probably very recent.

Hmm.

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
Hmm, I just tried it on my Dakota, and all seemed well.  In the merge/delete tracks dialog did it ask you to save as a TCX file?  That is the default when part of the track has HR or CAD data.

Somehow the HR data is getting stripped in there for an Oregon, I guess.  I'm not coming up with anything that could be different, but I'll keep thinking.  I'm pretty sure you have a recent version of TF, probably very recent.

Hmm.

The merge/delete tracks dialog is working exactly as it always has for me - (except for the speed - this is my first USB unit). There's a slew of track segments - I pick one and "save selected" ...

Oh wait,  if the unit is in "mass storage" mode I am seeing a list of files under "location" instead of a bunch of "active log" entries.  But none of the listed files are from today.

But back to your question - the dialog box  prompts for the name of a file name and defaults to GPX (I just tried the TCX option - still no HR data).

TF 3.95, Oregon firmware - 3.41 beta.

That's about it.

Ken F. 

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
If there's HR data in the track you are selected (it's OK if the location has them as files -- that's where TF gets the data) it should prompt you to save it as a TCX.

For some reason it isn't seeing it.  Are you sure the track you are picking actually has HR data and isn't another track without it?

Otherwise, maybe send me the Current.gpx file.  I can mock up a fake USB storage and test it on my end.

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
If there's HR data in the track you are selected (it's OK if the location has them as files -- that's where TF gets the data) it should prompt you to save it as a TCX.

For some reason it isn't seeing it.  Are you sure the track you are picking actually has HR data and isn't another track without it?

Otherwise, maybe send me the Current.gpx file.  I can mock up a fake USB storage and test it on my end.

Well, just to be as accurate as possible, I stopped the track recording,   cleared the track log, set the recording interval to 1 second, started the track recording,  went for a short walk, and then stopped the track recording.

Voila. It seems to be working as it should. Yes, TCX does come up as the default option for the first segment chosen.  I used TF to save both a GPX and a TCX. They appear to have identical information, including heart rate.   

But here's a tidbit that at least makes the "problem" reproducible.
I have always been in the habit of just leaving the track log on (with my older units) and that has never been a problem. It was on when I first encountered the "no HR" problem I described for the Oregon.

When it is on, the source column in the merge/delete dialog shows "active Log" and not a file location.  The same segment in the (presently very limited) active saves via TF with HR when the track log is OFF, but without HR if the track log is on. 

So I don't know whether I have just uncovered a "bug," a "feature" or just an annoying idiosyncrasy. But I expect it could have a software developer pulling his hair out (or just muttering under his breath).

KenF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »
Hmm, that is very strange indeed.  I always leave my tracklog on, too.  And mine seems to see / grab the HR data with it on.  I just downloaded tonight's night ride and it came up with a location as a path to the file, and saved to .TCX with the full HR data for the ride in tact.

I'll keep an eye out for it as I download more tracks.  Let me know if you learn anything more, too.

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »
Hmm, that is very strange indeed.  I always leave my tracklog on, too.  And mine seems to see / grab the HR data with it on.  I just downloaded tonight's night ride and it came up with a location as a path to the file, and saved to .TCX with the full HR data for the ride in tact.

I'll keep an eye out for it as I download more tracks.  Let me know if you learn anything more, too.

So much for reproducibility.  I just played with the same segment again and could not
get HR data into TF. Tracklog ON, Tracklog OFF, Spanner Mode, Garmin serial mode.  

What IS consistent is that if the "source" column shows "active log,"  HR is a no go. With a file path shown, HR appears as it should.

The Oregon 3.41 software is a beta.

KenF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »
Thanks for staying with it -- I will think about what could make it come up as active log.  There has to be something there.

Good point on the beta.

So you are getting the exact same data (coordinates, time, etc) but without the HR now?  Huh.

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 10:45:20 AM »

So you are getting the exact same data (coordinates, time, etc) but without the HR now?  Huh.

Correct, there does not appear to be any problem with the "active log" entires other than the missing heart rate when loaded into TF using the merge delete dialog box.

Obvious thought - perhaps Garmin has modified their protocol or this version of the Oregon software (I wish they would use the more common term "firmware" even if it isn't completely accurate) has some glitch.

KenF

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »
There has to be something there.

I acquired a Foretrex 401 too. Same problem. NO recording of  HR no matter what I do. I have asked Garmin whether it is supposed to be recording HR. No response yet.

Edit/Followup: According to Garmin the Foretrex 401 displays but does not record heart rate.   

KenF    
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 05:55:57 PM by KenF »

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 04:38:39 PM »
Are there any specific tricks for configuring an Oregon and/or TF to have heart rate recorded?
AND downloaded
Just to follow up. I may have been experiencing a software glitch. I had some other flaky behavior (duplicate profiles showing up in the "select profile" menu) so I reinstalled the software for the unit.

It now seems seems to be working (even under the 3.41 beta software). It does, however, seem to require that the unit be in "mass storage" mode.  If it is, a list of files comes up in the "merge/delete"  dialog box. If it is not, "active log" is displayed.  And therein lies the "problem"....

So as an FYI to anyone who may run into this,  that appears to be the answer to my original question and reflects a behavior in the Oregon (and, I assume, other newer units) that is different from my older serial units that had no "mass storage mode" and were perfectly happy to download all data from the "active log."  Thus far, I am not aware of any other incantations or rituals that need to be involved.

KenF
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 05:57:10 PM by KenF »