Author Topic: Garmin Astro proposal  (Read 11888 times)

Dogholliday

• View Profile
Garmin Astro proposal
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:38:45 AM »
Hello

It would be nice if there could be also the distance between man and dog as one option shown in playback  :)
Now there is velocity for example.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Garmin Astro proposal
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »
Sounds like a good idea.  What if there are multiple dogs, would distance to each dog be useful?

I envision a 'dog mode' and then some what of defining which file is the person (all others assumed to be dogs?).

Let me know.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
Agree with this.  We use the Garmin Astro to track our Search and Rescue dogs and a method that allows us to see precisely where the dog is when the handler is at a specific point is precisely what we're looking for.

Also, how about a "dog" icon to distinguish the tracks.

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 05:32:44 PM »
Spent some of the weekend working on this.  The multi playback function with the Astro meets a real SAR need - the ability to see precisely where the dog is in relation to the handler at any particular moment.

Now for wish lists:  It would REALLY help if the playback could show the distance between the dog and handler at any particular time - much as it currently shows speed, etc.  Is that doable?  By doing this, we could do such things as estimate the "standard" ranging distance of our SAR dogs, determine how far away they are when they make a find, etc.

Also, I would love a way to be able to easily measure distances between things.   For example, I need to check my tracks to see how wide my grids are on a search, determine how far the dog is from subject (not handler) when they make a find, etc.  Currently the only method I can find is to use "draw tracks".  Any other means I am not thinking of?

Thanks.  This is a major advance in our ability to understand what is happening with our search dogs!

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
Cool, glad to hear multi-playback is useful for you guys.

Distance to dog is not hard to add, just a matter of getting the user interface up to choose 'man' and 'dog'.  Perhaps easiest is that if only two tracks are enabled, the distance between them can be displayed.  If you want to do more (multiple dogs) you'd have to select which track is 'man' and then assume the rest are dogs?  Is that reasonable?

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »
Yes. We normally are only trying to analyze one dog and handler team so adding distance between the 2 tracks as a playback option is the key. A multiple dog situation is more likely IMHO to be something the hunters who use the Astro might want. There I would think labeling one track as the human and assuming all others are dogs would work great. They'd be interested in distance away as well. 

THANKS for being so responsive. This is an awesome tool!

jocoyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:00:40 PM »
We just got our team astros and were play on "that other program" with putting a collar on the tracklayer and one on the dog and looking at the deviaiton between the lines -

But our intent is to use them on our air scent dogs to analyze coverage gaps.............trailing dogs and flanker GPS is "good enough"

So we may have several out at once. Just now getting comfortable with the GPS.

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »
Scott - wondering if (a) you are planning on adding distance between 2 tracks as a parameter in running multi playback and (b) if you have any idea when it might be out?  I've shown the multi track playback to a bunch of our SAR K-9 handlers and everyone is panting to have that as an option.  Would be very helpful in training and analysis. 

For us either way works - single dog and handler or multiple dogs and one handler. 

THANK you for your responsiveness!

Monica McFadden

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Panting?  Tee hee!

I'll have it in the next version for sure -- distance between the first two tracks being played back.

I hope to have a beta out this week, and hopefully a full release next week.  Let me know if you want to be on the beta list to try it sooner!

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
And I wasn't even intending that pun!   

THANK YOU!  We'll be waiting.  And I would love to be on the beta.  What do I need to do?

Monica

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
Beta is out with man/dog distance feature.  It draws a line between the first two tracks and displays the distance at the midpoint.

I'll send you an email with instructions for the beta version.

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »
LOVE the new option.  It works perfectly and provides very valuable information.

Only thing I'm finding is that having the distance fall ON the line between person and dog is distracting.  Makes it hard to follow the two lines to see what is actually happening.  Any chance the distance number could be either (a) pinned somewhere else on the screen (i.e. a box that just keeps showing the distance between person and dog) or (b) put closer to the person so you can watch where the dog is actually going?   The line between handler and dog can also be a bit distracting.  I'm still figuring out how to put things in different colors so I have, e.g., me in red and the dog in blue.  With the line between us (now in yellow somehow in my setup), i'm  having  more difficulty following. 

But, as I realize, I can also uncheck the Man/dog box and just run the tracks in parallel so I can first get a sense of how the problem played out with my interaction with my dog and then add in the distance option on a second playback so I can capture that information.

A very valuable tool. THANK YOU again for your responsiveness. 

Monica

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
I can easily put the distance under one of the points (the first one loaded, perhaps).  I didn't do that simply because there's no easy way to differentiate between which track is man/dog, and if it's always the first one loaded it may get confusing to have it be under 'dog' and under 'man' between different playbacks.

The line color is the same as the "highlighted track" color in options->prefs->colors. 

I can get rid of the line too.  Any other opinions either way from those requesting the feature in this thread?

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
Thank you!  You are so fun to work with.

For me, doesn't matter which track you put it on.  I know which one is me and which is the dog.  May matter to others.

I would prefer the line not be there as it is distracting to me.  But others may like it.  Is there a way to make it "invisible" for those of us who wish while having it visible to others who want?

Is there any way to just pin the distance number somewhere else?  Or does it have to be on one of the tracks?

I think I need to learn more about the color options  for tracks.  Will play with that.

Thanks again.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
I suppose I could anchor the text somewhere like one of the corners of the map, but what I liked about the line and putting it in between was that it was obvious what distance was being displayed.  Maybe it's obvious enough already.

What if the line were super skinny and just black?  Still distracting?

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
For  me, anchoring distance somewhere else on the map is my preference.  The way I am currently using the multi-tracks for dog/handler is focusing on watching the changing dynamic between the leading point on each of the tracks.  While watching, I am rerunning the problem in my mind, often seeing on the tracks dynamics that did not register in the field.

So - for me anything that interfaces with the leading points can be distracting.  It may not be for anyone else. 

Again, I realize I can watch the multiplayback of the 2 tracks with no box checked, which allows me to simply observe the dynamic.  Then I can rerun with distance to capture that information. 

A thin black line might work.  I think its better than the highlighted one.  Again, I would like to see the numbers pinned to one of the tracks rather than in the middle.

Is there anyway to see the "thin black line" option in a beta?

Others may have completely different takes on this.

THANKS again!!! 

Monica

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
New beta out now with skinny black line and distance under one of the track points.  See what you think and let me know if it's better or if you'd still strongly prefer no line and distance anchored in a corner or something.

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »
Re: the new Beta. 

The thin black line is a big improvement.  Reduces the distraction factor to less than 3-5%.

I'd still like the distance number pegged somewhere else than on a track.  Reason is that dogs range erratically - sometimes on one side, sometimes on the other.  The distance number is often covering up the leading edge of the dog track so its hard to see precisely what the dog is doing.

Again,others may feel differently.

Would it help you for me to send you a dog/handler track that I'm using to test the beta so you can see how they interact with the new feature?  If so, just tell me where to send and how to upload.

THANKS again!  Told my unit members about the new feature yesterday and the panting (yes, the pun is intentional this time  ;D) increased.

Monica

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
Yeah, if you could email me two tracks at smorris@topofusion.com that'd be helpful.

I think I am going to release the current version as is, but we can tweak it to suit real quick in the next beta.

Thanks.

mcfaddenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 02:53:42 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  Tracks on their way.