Author Topic: Font problem (?) with TopoFusion Pro  (Read 4807 times)

cxagent

• View Profile
Font problem (?) with TopoFusion Pro
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:43:24 AM »
I am having a problem with the fonts displayed for the scale and all other text on the map screen.  I am currently using TF Pro V 3.61, but the problem has occurred in the last several versions I have used.  It appears the font is so large or so heavy that the text becomes unreadable blocks.  The direction arrows also become large squares instead of arrows.

I have updated the version of TF several times and the problem has continued thru each update.  Today I loaded TF on a different computer - the problem did *NOT* occur.  So I changed all of the TF option settings in my laptop to match the TF option settings on the test laptop.  The problem continued. I tried the "Return to Default" button under Preferences/Fonts several times on several different versions to no avail.  I am at a loss on what to try next.  My guess is there is either a setting in TF that is not apparent to me or there is setting in Windows that affects TF.  At the user level (me), I don't have enough info to know where to look.

I am willing to lose all of my settings on my laptop if there is a configuration file that could be deleted or replaced.

Thanks for making such a great program.  We really enjoy using it for all of our activities.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Font problem (?) with TopoFusion Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
Hi,

This is most likely a graphics card issue, so neither a TF or windows setting problem.

Check with your laptop manufacturer for an updated video driver.  Good chance that will solve the issue.

Please check back and let us know whether that fixes it or not.

Thanks.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

cxagent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
I updated the video driver to the latest available (according to the Dell support page).  No change.  I think this laptop displayed properly a while back.  I have to qualify that with 'I think' because it may have been my old laptop that displayed properly.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 02:31:02 PM »
Do you know what video adapter you have?  You can check the TopoFusion log file (paste it here maybe), or find it in windows.

I have an older laptop that had the same issue on an ATI.  It needed not the most recent drivers but a special set of "Omega" drivers.  That did the trick.

Very unlikely it's a new TF bug, but I'm still considering it.

Thanks.

cxagent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »
It is the nVidia video adapter built into a Dell C840 laptop.  The driver is version 4.2.5.8 dated 2/10/03.

BTW I'm having the same problem on my desktop.  I emailed a screen capture of the problem from my desktop computer.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
I didn't get a capture in an email.  What address did you send to?