Author Topic: Export View and Generate HTML  (Read 8661 times)

jimbowilly

• View Profile
Export View and Generate HTML
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:47:19 AM »
From some old threads I found a few requests to export a view that is larger than what is currently displayed on the screen.

Has this feature ever been added?

I also found an old thread that says you can generate the HTML file without having pictures. When I try to do this it doesn't work. Depending on what I try I get various warnings/errors, the end result being no HTML. Is this this still possible?

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Export View and Generate HTML
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
Yes, you can export up to 8000x8000 images on many video cards.  If you have an older card you might only get to 4096x4096.  The TF log file will tell you what the maximum texture size is for your card, or you can just experiment to see how high you can go!

Both Basic and Pro have this functionality.

You should be able to generate HTML w/o photos, yes.  I just tried it and it will generate it if no photos are *visible* but you need photos associated with the track.  I can fix this right away -- there have been many updates to the PhotoFusion function in the upcoming version of TF, and I'll work this in there too.

Thanks.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

jimbowilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:01:48 AM »
Thanks Scott. It works just a bit differently that what I was thinking.

The Map Detail radio buttons (Use Current and Maximum Detail) don't seem to do anything. What are they suppose do they do?

For others who might be having the problem I had, I thought you had to choose the map you wanted (topo4m in this case), then choose a larger export size and it would expand. Instead I had to pick a larger scale topo map set so it fits on the screen (topo8m in this case), then choose a larger export size.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
Yeah, the high res export function is a little tricky.  The Current vs Maximum detail may not change anything depending on the zoom level you are already at, and what your "Tileset Switching" setting is.  The idea is that the Maximum setting is equivalent to having the Tileset Switching slider all the way to the left (towards shrinking tiles).

And, yes, it functions by fitting everything you currently have on the map display in the higher resolution export.  Not sure how better to do this, but I'm open to suggestions.

jimbowilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:14:36 AM »
OK, one last question about the exporting.

I can view on screen the entire track I want to export using the topo 16M tile set (the dropdown in the upper right corner). I have the Tile Switching setting all the way to the left (Shrinking Tiles).

I export it using 2500x1875 resolution with maximum detail selected. (I also include the profile).

So it exports fine and I can see the entire track in the image along with the profile.

But when I zoom in to the JPG very closely I lose a lot of detail. When I zoom into the same spot with the Topofusion program it takes me into the Topo 2M tileset and the resolution is much better. I do have the 2M tileset selected in the preferences.

So how can I get the resolution in the JPG to match the high detail I see in the program?

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:59:09 AM »
Try going larger than 2500 pixels.

Most likely, even if the software were to shrink Topo 2m tiles to fit your desired map area, you wouldn't like the result -- there just aren't enough pixels.

You can try to force it to use Topo 2m by turning off Topo 4m/8/16 tilesets.  But I'd up the resolution first.

jimbowilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »
Well I tried the 4000x3000 resolution and it didn't work. It looked like it was trying to, but in the end nothing was exported. Must be my video card. To say it's not the newest out there would be an understatement.

So then I tried to force it to use the 2M tiles by removing the other tiles sets. That didn't work either.

I guess it's time to do a little research on video cards that other people are using.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »
Yeah, there's still a limit on how much TF will shrink tiles.  If you cover a huge area and try to force it to 2m tiles, it could be thousands and thousands of map tiles, which would never fit in your main memory long enough to export the map.

You should be able to pick up a new card for $50 or less that can do 7000 or 8000 x 8000.  It's always confusing when researching video cards though -- 10,000 models.  Sounds like pretty much anything will be an improvement for you though.

BobBailey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 07:33:48 AM »
I successfully used PhotoFusion to generate HTML with no photos. The process feedback was a little grumpy about it:

...but the page was created:
http://ebizmax.com/Biking/RockCreekLoop/index.html

One problem I did note that has nothing to do with PF is that the map background changed: the reddish color outside of the park area has morphed into black and white. Here's the new, "improved" topo image:

Nothing seems to bring back the old image. Sigh.

... Bob

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »
Yeah, not sure if I should disable that message or not.  It's still useful if someone is trying to do an export with images.

As for the red areas disappearing, is it just changing from topo 4m to (looks like) topo 8m or 16m?  That's very strange since the PF export should just be exactly 'what you see is what you get.'  The tileset should not change.

Try zooming in a bit (perhaps making your TF window bigger too) to get the better map back.  You could also change the 'tileset zoom' in Options->Preferences->Tilesets.  Set it to shrink smaller tiles.

Hope that helps.

BobBailey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »
Yeah, not sure if I should disable that message or not.  It's still useful if someone is trying to do an export with images.
I don't think you should disable it. Probably could be clearer, just a new paragraph for the "HTML page will be generated." would do it.
As for the red areas disappearing, is it just changing from topo 4m to (looks like) topo 8m or 16m?  That's very strange since the PF export should just be exactly 'what you see is what you get.'  The tileset should not change.
You called it, 4m has the shading, 8m does not.
Try zooming in a bit (perhaps making your TF window bigger too) to get the better map back. 
Zooming fixed it.
You could also change the 'tileset zoom' in Options->Preferences->Tilesets.  Set it to shrink smaller tiles.
I changed this but am not clear by how much, there is no scale. Could probably use more info here, I read the help but am still fuzzy.

Also, virtually all the tilesets are checked but I suspect I only need a few. If I preload without unchecking most of them I get some ridiculous count in the thousands. What are all these different sets good for, anyway? (That's a question, not a complaint.)

Do the preferences apply to ALL maps? Or, are they peculiar to a particular file? I'm assuming the former which begs the question: what if you want to use color aerial for one and b/w aerial for another?

Thanks for the help... Bob

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 04:01:30 PM »
Bob--

There are good reasons for all the of the tilesets being available, but you are right that many are redundant.  By default on a new install Topos 8m and 32m are disabled, for example.  In certain areas of the country it's useful to disable 4m but enable 8m, though.  I suppose a page on each tileset (esp. topos from terraserver) would be useful to folks.  I make a note to create one.

Setting the "Tileset zooming" is a little fuzzy, yep.  The best way to set it is to just experiment.  It applies to all tilesets and you are right that one might want different settings per tileset.  I think that's taking something that's already a little complicated and making it more so, though.

Thanks for the other suggestions.  Will change the PF error message.