Author Topic: Export or print larger than display?  (Read 7197 times)

ajroadtrips

• View Profile
Export or print larger than display?
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
I'm evaluating TopoFusion to see if it meets my needs. So far I am impressed with everything but exporting and/or printing. Can I print or export a larger area than the screen? I have a need to export a map the size of a printed page, which is typically larger than the screen size.

Any ideas? I was going to export multiple images and join them, but this is difficult when using grid lines, etc...

I thought maybe resolution would cover this, but apparently not.

Thanks for any ideas.
-Ryan
www.ajroadtrips.com

KenF

• View Profile
Re: Export or print larger than display?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
Can I print or export a larger area than the screen? I have a need to export a map the size of a printed page, which is typically larger than the screen size.

I think you will find most  of the functionality you seek by going to File/Export View and tweaking the various settings that are found there.

KenF  

ajroadtrips

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »
This is what I was trying, but my attempts have only been able to export current window contents. Is there anyway to get a larger area than the current window? Or does export only export the current window size?

Thanks,
-Ryan

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »
This is what I was trying, but my attempts have only been able to export current window contents. Is there anyway to get a larger area than the current window? Or does export only export the current window size?

I speak only as a user, not as a technical advisor, but is there some reason that you cannot resize the TF window to cover the area you want (including changing the aspect ratio to suit your needs)?  And the aspect ratio of the exported file does not need to be the same as the screen (uncheck "constrain proportions").  That would be a pretty common problem if you have a wide monitor screen and want to print to a standard printed page size like 8.5 x11 

But then I (and others) would love to see a selection box with Photoshop-like functionality where the view to be exported can be easily chosen without having to resort to entering numbers, i.e draw a box and export it.

Scott, ya' listening?
I realize this is not whiz bang cutting edge stuff, but it is certainly in line with the type of functionality that TF should have (IMHO) and is of more currency with the relatively recent addition of export of user created maps for newer Garmin units .       

KenF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
I'm listening, for sure!  :)  Just want to make sure the OP understands that you can do high resolution exports (4000x4000 or maybe 8000x8000) as a single image, but, yes, you need to pan/zoom TF to cover the area you want.  You'll get significantly more resolution than what is shown, but it can be difficult to get a hang of at first, specifically when it comes to knowing which tileset you will get.

To me that's more intuitive than any interface I've thought of for exporting an area beyond the current screen view.  I suppose you could draw a box around the area you want, and then choose a specific tileset, similar to how the Garmin Custom Maps export works.  It's likely to create some huge image sizes, but now that the tiling is there for Custom Maps, maybe that isn't much an issue.  I will look into how large a jpeg I can create.  The size of the exported map using tiling is no longer limited by video hardware (specifically the maximum texture size your video card supports).

Thanks for the thoughts, as always, Ken.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »
I suppose you could draw a box around the area you want, and then choose a specific tileset, similar to how the Garmin Custom Maps export works.  It's likely to create some huge image sizes, but now that the tiling is there for Custom Maps, maybe that isn't much an issue.

I very much like how the custom maps export works by allowing choice of the output tileset. I don't find the original image export to be quite as intuitive, especially since a high resolution export involves a matter a faith - i.e.,  a large export is sometimes larger than what is displayed on the screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a larger coverage area is displayed on the screen the tileset may also change, contrary the user's intention.

The interface I would like to see would be more visual and would involve several components.
1. A choice of output size (as X by Y pix or aspect ratio)
or
2. A choice of drawing a box around a displayed area,
and
3. A choice of output tileset,

If #1 were chosen then #2 would be automatically created/displayed  and vice versa.

KenF

ajroadtrips

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
Bump! I (often) can't get the export view to work properly.

Here's an example:

I bring up a map, and export view of 800x1000 pixels, with constrain proportions unchecked. This works, but does not appear to use my dimensions. After the first export, I did the same steps, putting 1600x2000 in for the width/height. I was expecting a much bigger map, but got the same.

Frustratingly this SOMETIMES works properly, but most of the time doesn't. Any ideas?

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »
Hmm, you should get exactly the image size you request.  When you have constrain proportions checked, though, it should adjust the other (width or height) depending on which one you are currently editing.

But you will see that adjustment happen as you type in the new values.  So, for instance, unless you have the map window sized to exactly a 8:10 ratio, it shouldn't let you type in 800 for the width without adjusting the height accordingly.

This is the first I've heard of the maps being the right size.  So when you did the 1600x2000 one, what size did it actually end up as?
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com