Author Topic: Downloading Tracks & Waypoints from Oregon 550  (Read 8851 times)

Grasscatcher

• View Profile
Downloading Tracks & Waypoints from Oregon 550
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »
Where does TF look for saved or imported wpts in internal memory when downloading from the Oregon?

Seems like it's only downloading the Oregon\Garmin\GPX\Current\current position waypoint. Also,without making any changes on the unit or any position change it puts that point in a different location (up to several hundred feet) every time (multiple repeated downloads).

It apparently doesn't "see" any saved waypoints or any imported waypoints that are in Oregon\Garmin\GPX (not under Current) which is where the unit stores them. Same location for tracks.........

Operator error on this end??????????

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Downloading Tracks & Waypoints from Oregon 550
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
Sounds like it isn't operator error -- likely a TF programmer error.  I will do some testing and post here when I figure it out, or if I need more information.  I'll bet it'll be a simple fix.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

Grasscatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 05:56:12 PM »
It would be nice if TF "looked"  in Oregon\Garmin\GPX (internal memory only) and recognized ( and would download) all waypoints  & tracks in any gpx file there.(whether created on the unit or imported)

I pick  "pre hike" waypoints roughly from the map on my PC and import/upload them to the unit. Then when I reach the "actual" point I do a "reposition here" to correct any errors. This picks up any trail changes since APs or maps were done.  Then when I get back, those wpts need to be seen by the software and downloaded.

Thanks

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »
You are correct, it's only getting the current position waypoint.  I'll change it to grab any waypoints in the GPX directory for the next version.  Thanks.

Grasscatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »
Scott,
The "change" also needs to apply to Tracks and Routes.

However, in the case of Tracks, there needs to be a user choice to either include or not include  "Current Track" in the download.  Or, vice versa, include saved or uploaded tracks , along with "current".

Saved tracks and uploaded tracks are stored in \Garmin\GPX  while "Current" resides in \Garmin\GPX\Current.

Before the Oregon series, users of other models had to rely on using the Active Log track ( or the track saved to the card) if they were interested in using any of the data that got "stripped" out when a track was "saved" in the unit. Now that there is no data lost in the saving process, "saved" tracks can be used and require much less editing, while the "current track" continues to log everything uninterrupted as a backup insurance policy.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »
Yeah, there is also the 'archive' directory.  I have been using mine on 1 point / second logging, so for many of my rides 10,000 points is not enough and they get split into multiple archived files.  I just changed TF to load from the archive directory as well, since the DL/Merge dialog in TF is very useful in putting the pieces back together.

I'll have to think a bit about how to manage options for current, archived and saved.  I want to keep it as simple as possible -- which may be to load them all in the dialog but state what they are.  Don't want too many too show up though, I guess.

Thanks for the input.

Rosemarry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »
ExpertGPS is GPS map software for your Windows 7, XP, or Vista computer. ExpertGPS makes it easy to transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks, as well as GPS, GIS, and CAD data, to and from your Garmin Oregon 550.
Rose......

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:28:13 AM »
Wow, TopoGrafix (ExpertGPS) is using SPAM bots to promote their software?  I just lost a lot of respect for one of TopoFusion's main competitors.  Amazing.