Author Topic: Distance and Heart Rate  (Read 2741 times)

Brent

• View Profile
Distance and Heart Rate
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »
I am using a Dakota 20 with TopoFusion Pro.

I have noticed from time to time two things when I download the data from my gps to TF.

1.  The total distance displayed on the gps tends to be greater then the length in TF.
          Is there a reason this is occurring?

2.   I have made mental notes of my max. heart rate while riding when I can.  When the data is downloaded,
     the max. heart rate that I have noted does not show up.
          Is this a result of Garmin not capturing and saving that data or is it the way I have TF set up?

Thank you for your help.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Distance and Heart Rate
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »
Hi,

I also have been using a Dakota 20 with the HR strap. 

#1 - How much of an error are you seeing?  In general it is not going to match up completely, but should be close, especially if you are recording points every second.

#2 - Are you recording one point per second?  If not, the unit is most likely averaging the values, which would mute your actual max.  I've been paying attention on my rides lately and have so far registered the max I've seen.

Hope that helps.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

Brent

• View Profile
Re: Distance and Heart Rate
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
Looking at the files that were loaded in TF and comparing them to my gps, it appears the difference was due to the Dakota rounding the value.  I was thinking it was more.

Also my track was set to "Auto" so I set it to time of 1 second.  I will see if this will remedy the heart rate difference.  There is no setting specific to heart rate.  Garmin sure has a lot left to be desired with their skeleton version of an owners manual.

Thank you for the advice.