Author Topic: colorado 400t  (Read 8088 times)

sdmanaher

• View Profile
colorado 400t
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:46:22 AM »
Hello thinking about getting the colorado 400t by garmin how well does that model work with topofusion? I  own topofusion pro. I been using  it to map game trails,rubs,scrapes and ect..for the last 5 years..Great product.

I was wondering as well I see national geographic has topo maps by state I live in western NY. Is the NG topo any better than the topo that ships with the garmin colorado 400t? Wasn't sure what additional software I would need besides the preloaded topo that came with the 400t. Thanks all.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
colorado 400t
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »
Yep, the Colorado will work just fine.  Instead of using the usual GPS transfer dialog, the Colorado is simply a USB drive.  So you drag and drop .GPX files from the Colorado into TopoFusion (or first onto your hard drive).

Given the storage limitations, I'm sure maps in Topo! and TF are still more detailed than what you can get on the Colorado.  But still, it's a great step in the right direction.

sdmanaher

• View Profile
colorado 400t
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
Thanks Krien I just received my Colorado 400T a week ago via UPS and I'm very happy. The only problem I have is I had 50 waypoints and I saved them via the save all command onto my PC/save selected as gpx. So I deleted them off my gps. Well the next day I went to open the file I saved on my pc  and was like omgosh where did the waypoints go! Is there anyway I can retrieve them now? Could they possibly be somewhere it topofusion pro cache or something or other?

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
colorado 400t
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
Well, every file downloaded from a GPS will be saved by TopoFusion into the "backup" directory.  But the Colorado circumvents that procedure so unfortunately there's no backup.

But I'd do a system wide search for all .gpx files and see if the file ended up somewhere else.  Also make sure the waypoint toggle isn't just off or something like that.

What does the gpx file look like when you open it up?  No waypoints and no track points?!
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
colorado 400t
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:09:49 PM »
Moving to TF Pro forum.

sdmanaher

• View Profile
colorado 400t
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »
Quote (ScottMorris @ May 08 2008,12:09)
Well, every file downloaded from a GPS will be saved by TopoFusion into the "backup" directory.  But the Colorado circumvents that procedure so unfortunately there's no backup.

But I'd do a system wide search for all .gpx files and see if the file ended up somewhere else.  Also make sure the waypoint toggle isn't just off or something like that.

What does the gpx file look like when you open it up?  No waypoints and no track points?!

Thanks scottmorris for the quick reply. When I open up the .gpx file it shows the picture of the map I saved it in. But no waypoints or tracks. I made sure the toggle waypoints and tracks where on. I did a system wide search with no luck.

Though at first I didn't know exactly how to save waypoints(for later use) so I did a backup of the same original file with waypoints as a .kml and .upt. I also exported the view so I could see a screenshot of it but I had pictures all loaded on the original .gpx so its alot of work putting them all back in there. I took the screen shot and placed using user map library and all is good just have to put it all back together now add waypoints and pictures again.

When I go to open the .upt file I got a error can not read the file. I dont know how to work with .kml files but the same thing pops up which is just the map I saved the waypoints on but no waypoints. So all and all I do have the option of atleast recovering the waypoints through the export(screenshot) I did.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
colorado 400t
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:21:48 AM »
Hmm, that's strange.  I still don't quite understand what happened.

Can you send me the .gpx and .upt files in question so I can take a look?

smorris@topofusion.com

Thanks.

sdmanaher

• View Profile
colorado 400t
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:25:38 AM »
I sent you a email message.

sarlabs

• View Profile
    • www.K9CHP.net
colorado 400t
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:23 PM »
Quote (ScottMorris @ May 08 2008,12:09)

Hi Scott:

My Oregon 400i also acts as a mass storage device when connected to a USB port. But I can download waypoints and tracks to Topofusion. And Topofusion does indeed make a backup file, even when downloaded from a mass storage unit like my Colorado!

Amir K9CHP
Amir K9CHP

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
colorado 400t
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
Thanks for the positive report on the Colorado.  The latest version of TF supports mass storage units directly, which would have avoided the problem encountered by sdmanaher.

I had tested extensively on the Oregon, so I'm glad to here it works with the Colorado too.