Author Topic: Can TopoFusion Maps be uploaded to a Garmin 705?  (Read 3264 times)

buzon

• View Profile
Can TopoFusion Maps be uploaded to a Garmin 705?
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
I am trying to put a track onto a topofusion map and somehow set it in the draw layer so it can be uploaded as part of a mapset and viewed on my 705 in the field.  Not sure if im using the correct terminology.

Is this possible?

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Can TopoFusion Maps be uploaded to a Garmin 705?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
It depends on what you mean.  The background maps, which are images, can't be transfered to the 705.  The 705 (and most other Garmin GPS units) are designed to display vector maps, not images.

There are a few tricks that people have pulled (like a util called MOAGU), but in my experience the process is long and the results not very usable.

You can upload a track (or a course) and have it available on the Edge to show and follow.  This you can do with TopoFusion itself.

Does that answer your question?
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

buzon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »
I see. I would like to make a track show up on the 705 with out having to follow it. I want to use it as a referance point when locating areas for new trail.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
I believe you can do this.  Instead of using any piece of software (TF or Training Center) to upload a .GPX file, you can drop it into the "current" GPX directory and then can find it on the unit and do "Display on Map."  I don't have a 705 with me right now or I'd give you better instructions.  I've seen it done in the past.

Maybe a 705 expert out there can chime in?
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com