Author Topic: A couple questions from a newbie.....  (Read 3779 times)

dgood71

• View Profile
A couple questions from a newbie.....
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
Since I just stumbled upon this software yesterday, I'm hardly an old pro...  but there are a couple features that I use a lot in another mapping/photo program and I either haven't found them in Topofusion yet or they're not there. 

One I use a lot (and have come to rely on) is a quick way to copy the coordinates where the mouse pointer currently is to the clipboard.  In the program I currently use, I press X and a little X is drawn under the mouse pointer, and a small dialog window pops open with the coordinates in various formats (Deg/min/sec, minutes decimal, degrees decimal, and UTM) each on a separate line in a memo field.  I just highlight the format I want, hit CTRL-C and copy the coords to the clipboard.  Makes grabbing positions quick and easy.  When the dialog window with the coords is closed, the little X marking the locationon the map disappears.  No need to mess with waypoints or anything, just a simple way to snag the current location.

I didn't see any way to do that in Topofusion.  The best I can come up with is to use the "Mark Waypoint" screen, but because the latitude and longitude are displayed in 2 different edit boxes I have to first copy the lat to the description field and paste it, then hit space, then copy the longitude to the description field, then paste it, then highlight both in the description field and copy them together and then close the waypoint box.  Not exactly quick and easy like pressing X would be.  :)

That brings me to another caveat...  I really, absolutely, positively hate entering latitude and longitude as two separate fields.  Copy and paste one, then copy and paste another...  it's a pain.  Another program I use (called GSAK from www.gsak.net) has a really smart coordinate input routine.  You just give it coords in pretty much any standard format and it figures out what you mean and accepts them.  I can feed it any of the following (in one edit field) and it's happy:  N40 11' 22" W76 21' 20" or 40 11.123 -76 11.213 or 46.334 -76.334 or N40.3343 W76.3322 etc....   I really wish that every program and web site that worked with coordinates had that same input capability.  Having to format everything just right and split the input into 2 different fields... ugh.  Call me lazy or spoiled, but once you have it so easy, it's hard to go back.  :)

Anyway, I'm still discovering features with Topofusion, and I really like what I'm seeing.  I just found the 3d view, very cool.  Although, I'm wondering what's the most accurate 3D representation -- setting the vertical exaggeration to 1?  I really would like a true, in scale representation of the terrain; I don't want to make a small hill look like the Swiss alps.

Ok, back to playing some more....    ;D

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: A couple questions from a newbie.....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »
You bring up some good points, and I should check out GSAK.  It seems they have some things really nailed.

I just had to copy/paste 8 waypoints for a SPOT event tracker, so your suggestion was timely.  It really doesn't make sense to have two fields for coordinate entry, and an easy way to copy a location to the clipboard would be great too.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.  I will see what I can do.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:34:53 PM by ScottMorris »
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:31 PM »
[needed]  a quick way to copy the coordinates where the mouse pointer currently is to the clipboard.  
.....just a simple way to snag the current location.

+1
Especially with the GE "fly to" box in mind -

And a single line coordinate format would work reasonably well (at least without having to go back and forth) even when pasting into a "two field" destination by pasting the full single line into each field and then deleting the extraneous lat from one field and lon from the other.

EDIT:
And have a toggle to tag elevation onto that one line of coordinate data.   

KenF
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:41:47 AM by KenF »

edobrien

• View Profile
    • Credit Repair
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
i also wish that i could enter the lat and long into one field! future update, perhaps?