Author Topic: similarity to AllTopoMaps v7 software?  (Read 1357 times)

Explorer

• View Profile
similarity to AllTopoMaps v7 software?
« on: April 27, 2020, 10:26:00 AM »
Does anybody know the degree of similarity of Topofusion to the now-unavailable AllTopoMaps software? I had that one for many years but now have to find a replacement.
Thanks

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: similarity to AllTopoMaps v7 software?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »

That's a good question.  Interesting that they ceased supporting it.

On quick glance it seems like it was geared more towards survey / GIS applications.  TF can do some of that but is aimed more at recreation and trail work / design.  There is a 'land ownership' blend mode.

What sort of features did you use in AllTopoMaps?
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

Explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

My use for ATM has mainly involved printing out on paper, various work area topo base maps (based on 1:24000 scale maps but at various scales and sizes up to 50" by 36"); showing drill sites, approximate claim boundaries, and other waypoints and tracks; and at times, creating cleanly seamed portions of adjacent quads using their "BigTopo" feature.
None of it is terribly complicated, but I was particularly interested in a possible "BigTopo-like" function for joining portions of adjacent quads, and the ability to make various scales and large-format sizes of paper plots of the maps, and of course waypoint/track functions.

Thanks!
Doug

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
Ah, OK.

TopoFusion might do what you want.  Skip the print function itself and go right to File->Export View.  You can export a high resolution image at 8192x8192 (depending on the max texture size of your graphics card).  8192 at 300 dpi is only 27", I suppose, if that's the resolution of the printer.  Just use a graphics program or windows itself to print the resulting image.

But otherwise you can of course add lines and point data, and quads are put together seamlessly (use the myTopo layer) so "Big Topo" mode.  The export tool will let you do various sizes and layouts -- you just resize the main map window to the aspect ratio you want and what you see on the screen is what's exported (just at higher resolution).

Give it a try if you think 8192 is enough.  None of my machines go over 8192 for max texture size but newer nvidia ones can be 16384 which would be 52".  You might check.

Otherwise let me know if you have any other questions...
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

Explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:30:01 PM »
Thanks very much Scott, I appreciate the quick response!
Best regards, stay well!
Doug