Author Topic: automatic backup?  (Read 6346 times)

joecooler

• View Profile
automatic backup?
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
I've been using topofusion for years, it looks like one of the recent versions started automatically backup up the routes i download from my garmin gps.  has anyone else noticed this?  is there any way to turn it off?

joecooler

• View Profile
Re: automatic backup?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:30:29 AM »
Could you provide details?  How can I turn the automatic backup off?

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
Hi joe,

The backup feature has been there for quite a while.  I never thought that anyone would want to turn it off since GPX files are so small that even a GPS freak like myself doesn't eat up too much disk space.

Is it the disk space that bothers you about it?
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

joecooler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »
True the files are small, however, I keep my entire "documents" folder on a thumb drive for access on the go so I'm a little (ok, maybe a lot) anal about space.  Mostly it just seems like unnecessary redundancy as I rarely, if ever, edit the files.  If I can make a suggestion, I'd only back up a file before saving edits, rather than doing so when the file is unchanged.
While I've got your ear, I've got another question for you.  I hadn't used the program in quite a while and started up again this past spring.  W/the newest version my log book got all hosed up - when I click on older events the link to the gps file is broken.  Any way to automatically repopulate the log w/all the files in my topofusion directory?
Thanks.  It's a great program.  One of these days I'm gonna upgrade to the pro version - I promise!

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
The reasoning is that at least you have the original file in case you mess something up editing.  It is true that some people don't edit files regularly, though.

And the newer units do a pretty good job of storing archived data.  Though I still like having a copy on my hard drive just in case.

You might be able to prevent TF from creating files in the backup dir by setting it to 'read only'.  Or just delete it every once in a while.  I guess an option might be nice to have, but I don't see very many people turning it off.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
Re: logbook.  There's no batch tool for logbook, but there should be one.  I would have found it handy in the past.  Sounds like some of your files have moved, which is a problem with the log format.  If you know the change you might be able to open the TFlog.csv file and do a 'search/replace' to update the paths accordingly.

markj2911

• I am here to share my views
    • View Profile
    • microsoft store promo code
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 01:01:38 AM »
No, i did not noticed anything like that yet.
But backups are very important in case of any wrong situation.

kenbroz

• View Profile
    • handmade wedding rings los angeles
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
This post is very old but I just say what happened. to start my first opinion.
I think it has been running very well, I've tried it and succeeded. I have tried repeatedly, so be absolutely sure to went well.