Author Topic: Newest Garmin GPS units and TF  (Read 8743 times)

KenF

• View Profile
Newest Garmin GPS units and TF
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »
I know that I had visions years ago of what I would like my GPS techno-arena to include and TF has filled in a huge part of that vision. Newer Garmin GPS devices appear to be another step toward my perfect system.

So some of you folks must have some of the newer units that support TF uploads of TF created images (Oregon, Dakota and Colorado). Seems like the best of all worlds.

Presently I would be leaning toward acquiring a Dakota 20 for its size, price and general capabilities.
Downsides (from research) seem to be display readability (Scott?) and a mere USB 1.1 interface (if that is true).  Is it true that the wireless capability does NOT work with a  computer running TF? (understood that a Garmin USB dongle might be necessary) A shame if true.

So whady'allthink?

KF

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Newest Garmin GPS units and TF
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »
I intend to write some more formal thoughts on the Dakota 20 and the custom maps ability sometime this week.  Screen viz is an issue for use on a bike, but not if the unit is in hand.  I just got back from 5 days of trail surveying (on foot) and the Dakota was great... for the most part.  Having actual USGS quads on the GPS for the area we were working on was very useful.

I don't know if it's only USB 1.1.  Transfers of large custom maps don't seem slow to me.  As for wireless, I have not used it, but I think it is only to talk to other Garmin units.  There's a regular old USB-B connection so the unit uses the same cable nearly all Garmins use.  No dongle needed.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

thereviewsguru

• View Profile
    • http://www.riskofradiation.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
Looking forward to the info on Dakota 20.

KenF

• View Profile

WilliamTaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:53:42 AM »
GPS is a technology which able to locate a any location. I am looking forward for this info and in Dakota 20. This link is really helpful to get more information on this. Thanks for sharing a link.

GaryWright

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
Best things in Dokata 20 that attracts everyone are it's touch and go feature, sharing can be done in wireless manner, advanced mapping feature etc.