Author Topic: Waypoints on elevation profile  (Read 10090 times)

aktrailrun

• View Profile
Waypoints on elevation profile
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:04:22 AM »
On some of your event elevation profiles (White Mountains), I noticed you had waypoints (aid stations) marked (although horizontally rather than vertically)? Did you do that manually or is it a feature now? I haven't been able to find it in version 4 (or any versions since I asked in 2007 and 2009). But I'd sure like it. ;) (I've been using perfils.exe http://tinyurl.com/28zkj4f )

I'm working on some event profiles, plus some maps giving people an idea how hilly the various hiking routes might be and marking cabins, major intersections, etc would be nice.

Several of KenF's suggestions would also be nice for what I'm working on - more control over the size of stripes for profiles (4 stripes is coarse) as well as standardizing the profiles for several routes in the same trail system (or even different systems).

Thanks.

(I used to be AKTrail, but apparently forgot to change my email here when I changed isp's and computers, then couldn't find my pw.)

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Waypoints on elevation profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
I just dropped those ones on by hand, unfortunately.  No waypoint on profiles just yet.  I am thinking about redoing the profile tool with a bunch more features in mind, so a bunch of this may happen relatively soon.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion/note.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

JimL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »
Hey Scott,

Ahh, just a bump to the top.  Any chance the new elevation profile tools have been making their way into the fray of development?

Yea, yea, I know it's summer...   ;D

Cheers,

Jim

KenF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:46 AM »
Hey Scott,

Ahh, just a bump to the top.

Yup, waypoints on a profile would be great.

One of my favorite tools is the profile box - just to provide analysis of data whether it's the nature of map information or review of such things as MY ride data.

But I find myself yearning for:

Multiple Overlays-Overlay and compare two tracks.
Have an option for setting the "start point" as is presently implemented in "multi playback
Have tracks toggle on and off so that, once scale is established, individual tracks can be displayed at the same scale  

Overlay and compare different data for one track.
A simple option to provide multiple simultaneous choices (overlays) of the presently existing options in the "Y-axis" drop-down menu would do it.

Range selection:
On a track or profile, I'd like to be able to select two points and calculate/display all the relevant data based upon the chosen points. Grade, time, average speed, total climbing, etc. Points to be selected on the map or on the profile (or both)

Consistent scaling- Provide for profile scaling to be fixed rather than arbitrary so that, for example, exported profiles can be more readily compared.

KenF
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:19:59 PM by KenF »

AKTrail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »
And I'm still interested.

We were discussing this the other day both for maps of various loops within a trail system (help users see how hilly) as well as profiles on proposed trails where the agency trail builder makes notes at various waypoint.

Not to mention my original use for mapping my races / runs and seeing where various landmarks are on the profile.

KenF

• View Profile
Re: Waypoints on elevation profile and other wishes for the profile box
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »
One of may favorite tools is the profile box - just to provide analysis of data whether it's the nature of map information or review of such things as MY ride data.

But I find myself yearning for:

"Moving Time" as an option for the X-axis.

This specifically came up when I was looking at a multi-day route (from merging existing tracks) and wanting to graphically see the actual elapsed time with an eye to doing the same route in one day. But it would be useful for any single track. The "Moving Time" number is shown in the data fields but there is no corresponding "picture."

KenF 

aktrailrun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »
Yup, waypoints on a profile would be great.
Consistent scaling- Provide for profile scaling to be fixed rather than arbitrary so that, for example, exported profiles can be more readily compared.

KenF

Both waypoints on elevation profiles and being able to standardize elevation profiles would be really nice. After 3 yrs of mapping and signing our 33mi of local trails, we're trying to output some products to make it easy for folks to see the elevation profile of the various trails / loops. They're small rolling hills, but relatively steep. The area looks flat on topos, but is anything but.

KenF

• View Profile
Re: Waypoints on elevation profile (and other profile wishes)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »
Understanding that development enthusiasm may by waning ...
Nonetheless - to bump this "blast from the past" thread about enhancements to the capabilities within the profile tool.

Simple features that would be great to have in a profile -

"Moving Time" as an option for the X-axis.

Waypoints shown on profiles. Although if one is willing to use a different tool, that can be accomplished here:  http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input

Multiple data overlays (simultaneous display of, for example, elevation and heart rate.

Consistent scaling of profile windows for easy direct comparison of two profiles.
     OR, similarly,  profile overlays (like multi-playback - but in a profile display) 

Selection of a "range" within a profile (or at least selection of a start point) so that the figures for "total" and "average" data reflect the data for the selected range. (yes, this can be done somewhat clumsily by using the scissor tool). And grade is a value that is much more meaningful over a range, since short recording intervals tend to result in a comb-like display (http://81301.co/GPS/Grade_Graph.jpg)  and erratic  figures for localized grade.

As an example of some of the desired functionality, I have attached a simple tool I wrote and use for finding grade over a segment of a track (manually plugging in data from a TF profile). It would be nice to be able to do the same thing with a couple of mouse clicks on a TF map or within the profile tool.

fivespot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
I create lots of hand tracks to explore trails before trying to hike them. I use the profile tool to look at the elevation profiles. I was surprised to realize that when the cursor is in the profile, the coordinates of the current position are not shown, either in the track statistics or in the main window. If the coordinates were shown in either place, I and others could at least write them down and use them later to create waypoints. This would be a lot simpler than implementing a whole new dialog for the profile window. Currently my solution is to find the place I am trying to mark in the profile, then hold a pencil to the point on the screen where the current track marker is, them move the mouse cursor under the pencil point. Major PITA. Thanks, Jim Rhyne (very long time user of TopoFusion).