Author Topic: Correction for wrong date, Garmin Geko 301  (Read 1629 times)

Larry

• View Profile
Correction for wrong date, Garmin Geko 301
« on: March 13, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »
Hi Scott,

I recently found a Garmin Geko 301 as a backup to my trusty Geko 201 which I still find is the best GPS for what I do in the Cascades.  Although the 201 works as it should, the 301 gives the wrong date in spite of updating the software to the latest version (2.70) with the Garmin Web Updater.  The problem is as described here:  Geko 201 Time and Date are Incorrect | Garmin Support 

https://support.garmin.com/en-PH/?faq=ymYX4ugd4a7ES1hz2VUdu7&fbclid=IwAR3V6VrMLtx0J81hoy57XL7lYrf6pfgZYGWu9ClpC4upeARb_5rjJPcFzuc

Otherwise the unit works perfectly.

I can manually edit the .gpx file generated by TF to correct the date but it's an inconvenience.  It turns out that if I import the file into Excel and add 7 x 1024 = 7168 to the Excel date, the correct date is generated.  I know this is a minor issue but it would be great if there were a way to correct or change dates (not the time, just the date) from within TF.
Or perhaps there is another solution I have overlooked.
Thanks so much for your continued work!

Larry

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: Correction for wrong date, Garmin Geko 301
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 05:02:21 PM »
This is amazing because it's vaguely familiar.  I think this bug was there from the beginning with the Gecko and there may have even been something in TF to deal with it.  I don't see traces of it any more, but I can dig a little more.

It's correcting for the timezone when it shouldn't. 
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

Larry

• View Profile
Re: Correction for wrong date, Garmin Geko 301
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »
Thanks Scott!

What's odd is that my Geko 201 has always worked properly since I got it ~2004 I as I remember. (I've kept the software current.) It sill works just fine with TF using the current 2.70 software. I've tried re-installing the current software in the 301 but the date problem remains.

The  301 has a barometer / altimeter and an electronic compass both of which work very nicely so I'm thinking of using the 301 on the trail from now on.

Larry

Ps: the date displayed by the 301 is wrong and it is that date that TF also displays.  For whatever reason the 201  unit displays the correct date
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 07:01:56 PM by Larry »