Author Topic: HTML Export Feature Upgrades  (Read 4067 times)

jimbowilly

• View Profile
HTML Export Feature Upgrades
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:01:45 AM »
I like the HTML export feature. To make it really flexible you could have Topofusion populate an HTML-like template (filled with customized Topofusion variables) to produce any layout of HTML the user would desire.

The user could define within the Topofusion HTML setup, which "template" file they would like and it's corresponding output file extension (They might want a .PHP extension instead of a .html).The template file itself would contain valid HTML/PHP/whatever, except that instead of actual GPS track data, it would have these variables.

For example, right now in the Topofusion generated HTML file, the GPX file name is in H2 tags and centered. Say I would instead want it in H1 tags and left justified. Well I could just change the HTML file now, but I would have to do this every time.

Instead, lets say the template file is called rides.htq. Within THIS file I would have something like:
<h1 align="left">^gpxfilevariable^</h1>

(The variable is ^gpxfilevariable^ which corresponds with the file name of the gpx file. You could have many variables ^heartrate^ ^distance^ ^avgspeed^ that the user could place anywhere in the template they like.)

Topofusion would see this variable and replace it with the gpx file name so it looks like:
<h1 align="left">Jan222009ride.gpx</h1>

After replacing ALL variables within the template, it would save the new file (with real data rather than variables) as an html/php file however the user has chosen in the setup.

So continuing with my example, rides.html is generated from rides.htq. This new file, rides.html is a customized HTML file with the real data.

Then (new feature #2), the user could click on the new UPLOAD button to FTP the file to the web server.

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Re: HTML Export Feature Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »
I like this idea.

No promises, but I'll look at it when I get to working on the HTML output stuff again.  We're looking at adding more / better mapping options (like a google maps plug in).

Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

jimbowilly

• View Profile
Re: HTML Export Feature Upgrades
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:21:45 AM »
Not my idea but something another program (non-mapping) I use does to facilitate constantly updated web pages.

I kind of envision a place on your website, maybe in the forums, where users can share their own templates for others to use.