Author Topic: Feature Request - APRS integration  (Read 7146 times)

HammerDown

• View Profile
Feature Request - APRS integration
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:31:49 PM »
Everyone:

APRS  is the Automatic Position Reporting System, an open-standard radio-modem data telemetry protocol.

From http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html :

"The Automatic Packet Reporting System was designed to support rapid, reliable exchange of information for local, tactical real-time events or nets. The concept is that each station with new information transmits his new data to everyone in the net and every station captures that information for consistent and standard display to all participants. Since the primary objective is consistent exchange of information between everyone, [APRS]  also establishes guidelines for display so that users of different systems will still see the same consistent information displayed in a consistent manner (independent of the particular maping system in use). "

In practical terms, this means that with an Amateur Radio (HAM), a GPS, a radio modem, and the interface between these, data from the GPS can be sent over the radio to a receiving station, a laptop connected to a radio modem and a recieving radio.  There are several retail mapping softwares that are already set up to process recieved APRS data, which effectively allows the mapping software to display real-time position data overlaid on the map image.

An example of how this works with Google Earth can be viewed at GoogleAPRS.com .

I have spoken with a local (Mesa, AZ) Wilderness Search and Rescue volunteer group, and they would love to see something like this integrated into a mapping software as useful and as affordable as TopoFusion.   If there is any way that this could be done, we would love to help get the ball rolling.

Many thanks,

HammerDown

Vegas Runner

• View Profile
Re: Feature Request - APRS integration
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »
Hi I just wanted to bring this topic up again for your consideration. Even the most basic APRS implementation would be a huge benefit for Search and Rescue, and other APRS enthusiasts.

sarlabs

• View Profile
    • www.K9CHP.net
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:41:38 PM »
Yeah, that would be a nice additional feature to add. Especially since APRS is lacking on a good mapping program, meaning toppo and aerials to work with (one you don't need to add all the mapping or buy expensive software like D-Mapper calls for). USAphotomaps has APRS functions but I've never been able to have a signal received off the air show up on it, just internet based signals.

Amir K9CHP

Amir K9CHP

ScottMorris

• Administrator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
I would still love to have this functionality in TF, but have not been able to decipher the basics of the protocol.  It should not be so hard, but it's very complicated.

I will have another look, though.
Scott Morris - founder and co-author of TopoFusion
email: smorris@topofusion.com

jmcglynn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:02:49 PM »
Question to HammerDown on APRS...

To use APRS to do I need to have my ham license?  Let me explain the scenario before I get the quick "yes" here.  I recently downloaded iBCNU for the iPhone.  It uses the cellular network to introduce aprs data into an IGate.  So if I am not using a short wave radio (cell phone) do I still need a ham license?

Vegas Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »
I would still love to have this functionality in TF, but have not been able to decipher the basics of the protocol.  It should not be so hard, but it's very complicated.

I will have another look, though.

Scott,

I can not remember if I have done so before but I will try to send you a log file from another piece of APRS software that shows what the data looks like. I think once you see the log file the protocol might make more sense and seem more simple.

Ed

sarlabs

• View Profile
    • www.K9CHP.net
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
Scott:
You may want to have a look at Xastir (Google that) as the it has a GPL license and comes with open code.

Amir K9CHP
Amir K9CHP

sarlabs

• View Profile
    • www.K9CHP.net
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
jmcglynn:
While you are not using ham radio frequencies to get your packet into the I-gate, your packet can then be retransmitted on ham radio frequencies, generally 144.390 MHz and thus you need at least a technician level license to use that software. I don't know why the software does not say so more blatantly but under setup they do ask for "your valid amateur callsign". BTW, APRS will not work well if you don't give it a legit call sign.

Now getting the tech license is not that hard. Worth giving it a try.

Amir K9CHP
Amir K9CHP

jmcglynn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 02:30:53 PM »
As I read the wiki on APRS I had an assumtion that "reflections" back into the short wave world were happening and this answering my question.

Thanks for the clarification.