Author Topic: Info on Forest locations?  (Read 6840 times)

m38a1guy

• View Profile
Info on Forest locations?
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:12:32 PM »
Hello,

I was in the field today and noticed that I didnt have the Names of well known locations in the forest areas. I did download the large cities and all the other downloads, but it didnt contain the names of locations in the forest park areas. Reason I ask about this is WorldWind does have the names of these locations, so it must be available for free right?

If possible on the next Beta can you add the ability to download Names of locations in the Forest Parks, example would be like Eagle Peak, or Aquarius, etc.

Thanks!

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:51:48 PM »
Yep, there's the GNIS database, which is available free.  I'm not sure what Worldwind is using -- will have to check.  GNIS is a little large, so we've been hesitant to include it / tackle it.

Should be coming though.

m38a1guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:07:26 AM »
Thanks it would be good to have the option of using it. :-)

Also is there a way in the section for GIS layers to have to FIND the location on the harddrive? Right now you have to download them to have them activated in that menu, or you have to do it manually in the lower box menu. It would be nice to have a find clocation button so it can be activated in that menu, but when I activate in the menu box It ZOOMS out and loses my place, I would like to be able to activate Large Roads and have it STAY where I am at instead of zoom out to the full USA view, and its slower because of all the roads to zoom back, where as if it stayed Zoomed in it should be affected right?

Anyway Thanks!

m38a1guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 05:25:48 PM »
BTW can you fix the issue of when I load the Large cities file etc. It Zooms WAY out and then is slow as a snail to zoom back in, is there anyway to have the file load without having it zoom out, sometime I just want to see the city but not have the whole map zoom out to world view then have to zoom back to my location?

Thanks

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:43:41 PM »
Quote (m38a1guy @ Oct. 24 2006,6:25)
BTW can you fix the issue of when I load the Large cities file etc. It Zooms WAY out and then is slow as a snail to zoom back in, is there anyway to have the file load without having it zoom out, sometime I just want to see the city but not have the whole map zoom out to world view then have to zoom back to my location?

Thanks

That is definitely not the intended behavior.

When you say load the large cities file do you mean through the GIS layers window, or are you loading the GPX file directly?

Let me guess - you don't have any GPX files loaded (in the active list below the map).  There may be a bug with loading GIS layers if there are no regular GPX files loaded.  

Thanks.

m38a1guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »
I dont have them loaded in the GIS layer menu so I had to use the lower lefthand box that allows you to pick the GIS files you have, when I activate something like the Large cities or Roads file it Zooms WAY out and then I have to zoom back which takes a while, where as when I have my desktop PC that I download the GIS through the GIS layer menu they appear without zooming out, only when I pick them through the file box.

Did that make sense? lol Not sure if I am describing it right?

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 02:59:52 PM »
Yep, that makes sense.

Easiest way to stop it from zooming out is to make sure you already have a GPX file loaded.  It only zooms to the file you just loaded if there are no files previously loaded.  I'm not sure if we should keep this 'feature' or not.  But for now you can prevent it by keeping another file loaded.

m38a1guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
So I have to have another file loaded Before its loaded? Because I couldnt find a feature to have it loaded in the GIS menu? That was something I thought would be nice is a manual assigning of the GIS file to the GIS menu so if you downloaded on another PC you can then tranfer to the laptop and then through the GIS menu have it loaded?