Author Topic: Version 2.81 - Garmin X series and other fixes  (Read 8646 times)

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Version 2.81 - Garmin X series and other fixes
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:55:55 PM »
Anyone have an X-series Garmin units (the new ones with improved antennas) ?

We got a Legend CX, and in v2.81 everything works, but it would be great to get another user to test basic track and waypoint transfers.

http://www.topofusion.com/beta.php

Thanks.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 01:15:35 PM »
Also,

We added support for USB Magellan Units -- the eXplorist line.

It doesn't use the GPS dialog, you simply open the '.TRK' using File->Open.  There is no USB Magellan protocol, and the file scheme seems to work well.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »
I have a Garmin 60csx (with the latest 2.60 firmware loaded) and I just installed Topofusion 2.81.  I tried the real time tracking and it didn't work.  I had the 60csx connected to my PC via usb cable, and had a good position lock (inside my house!).  I set the GPS type to "Garmin" and "usb" and hit "start tracking" and got an error message saying "Error initializing COM port, check for other programs using port."  I've tried this several times, disconnecting the GPSr and reconnecting it, with no luck.

From what I've read in Groundspeak, the new "x" series units are having a lot of trouble communicating via usb with various programs.  It won't work with Google Earth, for example.  It also won't work with USAPhotomaps, or DeLorme Topo USA 5. It wouldn't even work with Garmin's own nRoute until the latest firmware upgrade.  After the firmware upgrade to 2.60, the unit will show a current position in nRoute, but trying that with Delorme Topo or USAPhotomaps will crash the programs.

Also, one slightly annoying thing that happened when I installed 2.81 was that it reset the colors on all my tracks to red.  I had previously set them to different colors, and had to go into each and reset the color.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 02:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the report on 60CSX!  I actually forgot to test live tracking on my Legend CX, so I appreciate the reminder.

Did you try downloading and uploading tracks or waypoints?  If you could confirm if that's working I'd appreciate it.

I'll work on live tracking.

As for the colors going back to red -- I can't imagine what could have caused that.  The data itself is stored in the GPX files and shouldn't be affected by an upgrade.  I will have a look to see if something might have changed in reading files.

Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 10:40:31 PM »
I had no problem downloading a track into TF from the 60csx.  I also have no problem downloading tracks into DeLorme Topo USA.  To be honest, I don't really need the real-time position function, since I don't have a laptop, but I wanted to test it out.  

Regarding the track colors, I think that must have been my error.  I think I failed to save the changes I made to the track colors when I closed TF.

I do, on the other hand, have a problem with the 3D function.  Sometimes, but not always, when I create a 3D map, it begins moving around as soon as I move my mouse, even if I'm not holding down my left mouse button.  This seems to happen after I've created and then closed a 3D map several times.  The only way to make it stop is to restart TF.

dumketu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 04:53:49 AM »
I have a GPSMAP csx ordered and on the way. I'll run it through its paces with topofusion when it arrives.

Brian

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »
Quote (Guest @ Mar. 07 2006,12:40)
I had no problem downloading a track into TF from the 60csx.  I also have no problem downloading tracks into DeLorme Topo USA.  To be honest, I don't really need the real-time position function, since I don't have a laptop, but I wanted to test it out.  

Regarding the track colors, I think that must have been my error.  I think I failed to save the changes I made to the track colors when I closed TF.

I do, on the other hand, have a problem with the 3D function.  Sometimes, but not always, when I create a 3D map, it begins moving around as soon as I move my mouse, even if I'm not holding down my left mouse button.  This seems to happen after I've created and then closed a 3D map several times.  The only way to make it stop is to restart TF.

Thanks.  I got the live tracking working, anyway.

I've noticed that problem with 3D maps as well and it is very annoying.  You don't have to restart TF to get rid of it though, just right clicking once should work.

I'll see what I can do about it, I haven't been able to figure it out so far, but it happens to me quite often.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 04:28:44 PM »
Quote (dumketu @ Mar. 07 2006,6:53)
I have a GPSMAP csx ordered and on the way. I'll run it through its paces with topofusion when it arrives.

Brian

Great, thanks.  A few more positive reports and we're good to go.

The LegendCX looks like a good unit, so far.  Some nice upgrades over the C.

dumketu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 01:50:14 AM »
I received my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx today, and let me say it is th emost amazing GPS I have ever used. I can even get signals inside my house, which is cement construction (I am living overseas right now). I am truly amazed at the power of this unit.

Ran a few tests.

Filled the GPS track log completely up with tracks, then downloaded to topofusion. This is my first USB GPS and I like the speed. No problems whatsoever.

Downloaded several waypoints. This worked fine too. I like the way the GPSMAP can now handle longer waypoint names and lower case. Everything transferred exactly over to Topofusion.

Next I tried to upload two tracks from Topofusion to the active log of the GPS. Seemed to work fine except that the separate tracks were all merged together. This also happened when I tried to upload only one track. It downloaded back into Topofusion OK (still was all merged together though). I might point out that the timestamps were unchanged. You apparently fixed that part of the upload. To make sure it wasn't an issue with the GPS I tried the same procedure with Mapsource and did not encounter the merging of tracks issue. When I took the uploaded data from mapsource and downloaded it into Topofusion, it came out fine. This is probably not something a lot of people woud do on a frequent basis, but it may be an issue for some. I sometimes use this technique to bring two tracks together in one gpx file.

I don't use the live tracking, but I tried it and could not get Topofusion to communicate wit the GPS for that. Since I have never done it before, I may have been doing something wrong.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 08:25:37 AM »
Hi,

Thanks very much for the report.  It looks like X support is working well.

I see what the issue is on uploading to the active log.  You're right that it isn't a common thing to do, but I think I can fix it in any case.

Enjoy the new unit.  The USB/color ones are a huge upgrade over the older models.

tymbee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »
[EDIT: Error was mine. Newest ver. of TF seems to be working fine with Garmin 60 csx]

Just got my 60 csx today and after a bit of early testing, TopoFusion simply does not see it...

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:04:42 PM »
Thanks for getting back with the edit.  I was just about to respond and make sure you're using the latest!

Happy trails!