Author Topic: Bugs in beta 1.61  (Read 6343 times)

mcuma

• View Profile
Bugs in beta 1.61
« on: February 12, 2004, 09:58:39 PM »
Hey guys,

overall, a great improvement. Mainly, no more memory leaks, at least after a quick run. Also, looks like you have DEM caching on, right?

A few things that I noticed right away:

1. "a" button still does not switch aerial-combo-topo  in 2d.
2. it is not working in 3d anymore, either, instead, switches to 2d
3. why buttons o and p in 3d do not work anymore? It's easier to use them than the 3d dialog box.

A few other suggestions:

It may be worth it to consider generating the 3d image a bit further, outside the 2d map view, in the direction of view - when you look at the 3d scene from smaller angle than say 70 deg, the horizon looks cut too quickly.

Any thoughts on dynamically redrawing the scene as you drag (with right mouse)?

Another thought for more enjoyable playing with Topofusion - how about drawing a small scale bar in the lower left corner, both in 2d and 3d. In 3d the perspective skewes the scale, but, it should not be that hard to change it with the view angle as well.

Anyway, just a couple of evening thoughts.

Later,
MC

sanewcomb

• View Profile
Bugs in beta 1.61
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 11:42:29 AM »
Excessive swapping of DEM files

I've placed ten 10M DEM files into my folder and there are viewpoints where TF swaps the files back and forth while generating the 3D view. It goes back and forth as reported by the green text at the top of the screen. This occurs no matter what the mesh size is. It even swaps between two files when there should be plenty of memory available (50% of system, 1 GB RAM).

Error window when changing options preferences in 3D screen

I get an error message when I change options in the preferences dialog box while in 3D mode (not the 3D settings). 3D scenes fail to load after this and it requires a program restart.

Alan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bugs in beta 1.61
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 01:09:43 PM »
Quote (mcuma @ Feb. 12 2004,9:58)
1. "a" button still does not switch aerial-combo-topo  in 2d.

Nuts, looks like you have to pan (force a redraw) in this beta.  Easy fix.

Right.  Almost anything that would change the texture boots you back to 2d.  I intend to have it redraw and recreate the texture in the future (since the model doesn't need to remade this should be quick).

3. why buttons o and p in 3d do not work anymore? It's easier to use them than the 3d dialog box.

Primarily they were taken out because they were actually already assigned to other tasks (well, 'p' was).  I agree it's usefull to quickly change, I'll find two other keys to use.

It may be worth it to consider generating the 3d image a bit further, outside the 2d map view, in the direction of view - when you look at the 3d scene from smaller angle than say 70 deg, the horizon looks cut too quickly.

I don't know.  The idea was to view in 3d exactly what's being viewed in 2d (it takes exactly what's on the screen as the texture).

Do you mean basically automatically pushing 'r' for you, or something far more smooth?  The former is obviously easy to do, but the latter requires a completely different 3d engine.

Another thought for more enjoyable playing with Topofusion - how about drawing a small scale bar in the lower left corner, both in 2d and 3d. In 3d the perspective skewes the scale, but, it should not be that hard to change it with the view angle as well.

No kidding, it's been on the todo list for a long time.  I don't understand what you mean on the 3d view.  Seems the only way to do it would be to put the scale bar actually in the scene, next to the model or something, then it would scale accordingly.  Not sure it'd be all that useful, but we should probably try it.

Alan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bugs in beta 1.61
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 01:12:08 PM »
Quote (sanewcomb @ Feb. 13 2004,11:42)
Excessive swapping of DEM files

I've placed ten 10M DEM files into my folder and there are viewpoints where TF swaps the files back and forth while generating the 3D view. It goes back and forth as reported by the green text at the top of the screen. This occurs no matter what the mesh size is. It even swaps between two files when there should be plenty of memory available (50% of system, 1 GB RAM).

What's your DEM cache set to?  The default is too low (10MB) and I've just upped it to 25 for the next release.

Forgot to mention this option in the email.  It's next to the tile cache setting.  This is an upper limit, meaning that this space isn't allocated until it's used (unlike the tile cache).

Quote (sanewcomb @ Feb. 13 2004,11:42)
Error window when changing options preferences in 3D screen

I get an error message when I change options in the preferences dialog box while in 3D mode (not the 3D settings). 3D scenes fail to load after this and it requires a program restart.

Well spotted.  Thanks for pointing it out.  Fixed

mcuma

• View Profile
Bugs in beta 1.61
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 08:16:45 PM »
Quote (Alan @ Feb. 13 2004,1:09)
[/quote]

[
Quote from: mcuma,Feb. 12 2004,9:58

Right.  Almost anything that would change the texture boots you back to 2d.  I intend to have it redraw and recreate the texture in the future (since the model doesn't need to remade this should be quick).

Can't you do the 2d bump behind the scenes? The first beta actually did something like that, if I pushed 'a' in 3d, and then 'r', it would redraw the switched (e.g. topo->aerial) texture.

I don't know.  The idea was to view in 3d exactly what's being viewed in 2d (it takes exactly what's on the screen as the texture).

Sounds good to me, I was more thinking of greater 3d viewing pleasure ;-)

Do you mean basically automatically pushing 'r' for you, or something far more smooth?  The former is obviously easy to do, but the latter requires a completely different 3d engine.

I think automatically pushing 'r' would do, that's what I am doing now manually and it's works OK for me.

No kidding, it's been on the todo list for a long time.  I don't understand what you mean on the 3d view.  Seems the only way to do it would be to put the scale bar actually in the scene, next to the model or something, then it would scale accordingly.  Not sure it'd be all that useful, but we should probably try it.

Yes, I was meaning 3d scale floating in the scene - in fact, you can probably just keep the scale from 2d and just. Probably not that useful, but, fun to see...

Bugs in beta 1.61
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 12:13:04 PM »
Hi,

Pressing T in 2d mode does not switch from areal to topo as it used to until I do something, like zoom or pan.

I guess I do not have openGL (message says I don't when I go to 3d) However it works very quick. And is cool BTW. Maybe a check box for "do not show this warning again"

Good Luck
Oak

Bugs in beta 1.61
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 12:21:17 PM »
Export does not work in 3d mode for me. It says it does even asks if you would like to overwrite if file exists, but the file is still the old file when viewed.

Good Luck
Oak