Author Topic: Tracks don't download fully  (Read 8049 times)

madengr

• View Profile
Tracks don't download fully
« on: September 27, 2004, 04:41:39 PM »
I'm trying the demo of Topofusion with a Garmin GPS 12.  I clear my track log in the morning, ride to work, and turn off the GPS.  I ride back in the afternoon without clearing the log.  When downloading the track I see my track in the morning but then it is erased and my return track is the only one displayed.  It seems the only track segment stored by topofusion is the one after the most recent power-up.  Any idea how to get it to store the full track?

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 04:53:34 PM »
This is odd.  As far as we knew things are working on the GPS 12 for downloading tracks.

So when you download you see both of them drawn (and followed) as it downloads, but then in the 'merge/delete tracks' dialog there is only the single tracklog displayed?  Are you certain you are not just only saving one of them in that dialog?

I will have a look at the GPS code.  There is some special case code for the GPS 12 (since it is older) that could be screwing this up.  Thanks for reporting the bug.

madengr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 08:10:21 PM »
When I start the download,  the first segment is plotted until it gets to the end of my ride when I cycled the power.  The first segment then suddenly disappears and the second segment is plottted.  My ride today had about 300 points total but only 140 points from the afternoon ride showed up in the "merge/delete tracks" dialog.  The full 300 points were transfered over the cable but it only saved and plotted the last segment.  The GPS firmware is 3.5.
Thanks,
Lou

chuck9919

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 08:35:37 AM »
Quote (Krein @ Sep. 27 2004,5:53)
This is odd. Ā As far as we knew things are working on the GPS 12 for downloading tracks.

So when you download you see both of them drawn (and followed) as it downloads, but then in the 'merge/delete tracks' dialog there is only the single tracklog displayed? Ā Are you certain you are not just only saving one of them in that dialog?

I will have a look at the GPS code. Ā There is some special case code for the GPS 12 (since it is older) that could be screwing this up. Ā Thanks for reporting the bug.

I have the same problem my track log dose save on the screen

chuck9919

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 01:18:59 PM »
Quote (chuck9919 @ Oct. 02 2004,9:35)
Quote (Krein @ Sep. 27 2004,5:53)
This is odd. Ā As far as we knew things are working on the GPS 12 for downloading tracks.

So when you download you see both of them drawn (and followed) as it downloads, but then in the 'merge/delete tracks' dialog there is only the single tracklog displayed? Ā Are you certain you are not just only saving one of them in that dialog?

I will have a look at the GPS code. Ā There is some special case code for the GPS 12 (since it is older) that could be screwing this up. Ā Thanks for reporting the bug.

I have the same problem my track log dose save on the screen

If you find out why the garmin 12xl dose not D/L track log to the program would E-mail?
ctoombs4@cox.net

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 02:44:34 PM »
Guys -- thanks for reporting the problem.  I am taking a look at it and will hopefully figure out what is wrong soon.

Metzen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 06:43:28 PM »
I had a problem of my computer going nuts and either slowing waaaay down or freezing up TopoFusion altogether (killing it in the process list allowed XP to keep going) while importing tracks, and found that when I unchecked the "Follow download in map" box that things went much more smoothly.

Once downloaded, I could use the data just the same, you just didn't see it load in realtime.

FHWillAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 08:05:12 PM »
I've had the same problem with my GPS 12 MAP. I have tracks that don't fully download. Actually, they seem to download but the beginning of them gets cut off as soon as the download is complete.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 03:58:45 PM »
OK - I had a look at the code and don't really see anything that could be amiss.

One question to the GPS 12 users -- are you using the "Garmin Old" setting in Options->Preferences->GPS ?

If the answer is yes, I will need a volunteer to download a debug version of TF, run a download, then send me the resulting log file.  Any volunteers?

As for the forerunner, read my response in the Forerunner thread of this forum.  I don't think there are any problems with downloading tracks from the forerunner.

FHWillAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 05:34:39 PM »
Yes, I use the Older Garmin setting when using my GPS 12MAP. I have a track in my GPS right now that's getting cut off. I'd be willing to run the debug version.

I just watched the download again and, in this case, it starts downloading the first part of the track (I see the red line on the map), then it erases the line, then it starts a new line where it left off and continues to the end of the track.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 05:04:43 PM »
Thanks for volunteering.  I'm not sure if you have registered or not, but I put up a debug version that is also demo, so it will have demo tiles.  It shouldn't matter, and after we get a fix going I can set you up with either a demo or full w/ the fix.

http://www.topofusion.com/GPS12Debug.zip

Copy the two files in the zip into c:\program files\topofusion (overwriting both).

Download tracks, then send me TopoFusion.log (smorris@topofusion.com)

Thanks!

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 10:25:27 AM »
I believe I found (and fixed) the bug.  It was introduced when we went to the new GPS interface dialog about 6 months ago.

For anyone that is registered, they can download beta 2.12 at

http://www.topofusion.com/beta.php

Let me know if this fixes it!

madengr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 03:27:13 PM »
I bought the program and tried the beta version.  It works now on my GPS12.

Can the log book show multiple tracks for 1 day?  It seems to only show the last one if I have two that day.  Also if I delete track_6 from both the logbook and the main window, try loading track_5 in the logbook, then track_6  appears again.  I'll email you the files to try.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 03:45:31 PM »
Glad it works now.  Thanks for posting your reply.

The current logbook can only display one track per day.  It's definitely a limitation and one I hope to fix in future versions.

Not sure about the swap of day5/day6.  I don't think there is anyway it could load in details from a file that isn't loaded.