Author Topic: Topo Map Coordinates Off  (Read 4004 times)

ScottJ

• View Profile
Topo Map Coordinates Off
« on: January 04, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »
A few days, I downloaded TopoFusion 2.7 - still evaluating it before I purchase a registration key.  The odd thing I ran across is that the topo map loaded (any scale) doesn't match either the aerial photograph or the coordinates from my Garmin ForeRunner 201 GPS unit.  I'm fairly familiar with the area (since it's near my house), and it appears the topo map is off by 100 meters to the north and 100 meters to the east.

Is there any way of adjusting the coordinates for the topo map so that the topo, the aerial, and my GPS coordinates line up?

...Scott

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Topo Map Coordinates Off
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 07:38:24 PM »
Hi--

This is most likely a problem on Terraserver's side.  There are a few locales (including mine--west Tucson) that suffer from this.  Some in topo, others in aerial.

I've been thinking about how best to add a 'nudge' factor.  Look for it in future versions.

Thanks for the interest.

ScottJ

• View Profile
Topo Map Coordinates Off
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 11:17:48 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I'm located in Ventura, Calif., and understand that the line dividing UTM Zone 10 and UTM Zone 11 lies between Ventura and Santa Barbara.  Maybe there's some skewing with the older topo maps along the edges of these zones.

I tried plotting the same data in another GPS visualization product (SportTracks) and it referenced the data well with respect to GoogleMaps, so this adds additional weight to the problem being with the topo maps themselves.

Thanks for the info and thanks for the dynamite tool!  Things are a bit tight after the holiday season, but I'll be registering my copy in the next month or so.

...Scott

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Topo Map Coordinates Off
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 03:17:17 PM »
Well, I finally got to fixing this problem.  Now I can see where my tracks *actually* are on topo maps in Tucson Mountain Park.

The "map nudging" tool is only in beta for now, but a full (demo) release will be happening in the next couple weeks.

Stay tuned.