Author Topic: Screen contrast changes  (Read 22939 times)

tdcarter

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:35:40 PM »
Hi Guys,
Okay, I know you had a problem at one point with the new pro version causes Windows to brighten it's display. Now, it seems to be changing the tileset contrast when a window pops in front.

If I right click on a track, then contrast changes soon as the profile window pops up. Once I touch the mouse,the screen changes back.

I noticed the same thing happens when I pull up the "Help/About" screen. While the About window is up, contrast is up. Once I clear it, the screen washes out.

Hopefully those pics post...

TC

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 06:17:12 PM »
Hi,

Pics didn't make it, but I have seen what you are describing on a friend's laptop.  Can't duplicate it here, but I'll see if I can figure it out.

You are using a later beta right?  Not 3.0?

Thanks.

tdcarter

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
Hi Scott,
Using 3.04

I'll try the latest beta, 3.05 later tonight.

TC

moldytoe

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »
I noticed the brightness/contrast change when launching TF. I figure it may be related to the ATI driver. If I go to the Catalyst driver control panel>color>reactivate ATI color controls, the screen dims back to normal. TF seems to be taking control of driver settings.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 05:50:39 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure this one out.  I can't duplicate the problem on any of my machines.  But a couple other users have reported the problem.

The common thread seems to be ATI video cards.  Not sure what is up.  Nvidia/Intel systems seem to be fine.

There's a somewhat unpredictable pattern to whether dialog boxes will change the contrast back to normal.  But it seems whenever the main TF window has focus, it's messed up.

You probably have the latest ATI drivers (Tom - seems like you've updated for previous issues?), but if not, please give that a try and let me know if there is any change.

This is a really strange one, but one we need to fix ASAP.  I may have to get my hands on an ATI system.

Thanks.

Screen contrast changes
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 07:17:47 AM »
Just installed the 3.05 update on vista ultimate and it does seem that the tiles are now brighter and the color is off...nvidia 6600 gt card

moldytoe

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:36:39 AM »
I found the workaround about reactivating ATI color controls in driver settings on the net, can't remember where. Some games have the same problem. Something in Direct X? Gamma? http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173460.aspx

moldytoe

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
updated to 3.05 and no longer have the problem.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
Well, I'm pretty thoroughly stumped on this one.

v3.0 did not exhibit this behaviour but 3.03+ does.  It's not the new brightness/contrast method and it's not the DXT1 compression.

Anyway, I will be looking in more detail at this and hopefully fixing it this week.  Thanks for all the feedback on it.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 05:51:36 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure we finally eliminated this problem.

v3.07 is up in the usual place (not beta) with the fix.

Let me know if you still experience any problems with it!

Thanks for the feedback on it!

wayne

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »
Version 3.07 is much, much darker than 3.05.  I don't know the card, but I have the NVidia GeForce 6600 chipset.  I was unable to find an adjustment in Topofusion that let me adjust the contrast/brightness (except in Combo mode)

Let's see if Flikr will let me hot link.

The checkmark background used to be white...like the text box I put in there.

The Aerial map is very dark; felt like i was looking at it at night.

wayne

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »
Here's a weird thing--I've got the preview on the left, flicker photo on the right (same monitor--it's an HP f2105 widescreen) and it's lighter looking in your forum than the original in Flickr.

See my other post (not approved yet--can't hot link to it.  What, do you sleep, too? ':p'  ) for the TopoFusion vs original on Flicker.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »
Wayne,

It looks like the brightness slider is turned down to me.

Brightness/contrast should work for all tilesets EXCEPT for combo.  Open up the Image Processing dialog and hit "return to default."

It's possible the 'bug' that was causing inconsistent brightness (gamma correction, really) was working consistently for you, but causing things to get much brighter.

Let me know if that's not it.

Larry

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 09:14:40 AM »
Scott, I suppose 'no problem' is not much help, but on my system, Vista Home Premium, ATI 1650 GPU and latest driver, the brightness slider works as it should as well as the enhance contrast checkbox in 2D mode. In 3D mode, the slider does not have an effect. (That would be nice!) I cannot produce a dark gray shade however with the slider; it's aways some degree of white as I would expect.

Larry

wayne

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 09:34:49 AM »
That's what I get for reading help.
Yes, it was incredibly obvious.
Window >> Image Processing >> Reset to default.

Brightness was all the way down.  I didn't find it last night.

No "dope slap" smiley?

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 09:38:44 AM »
Quote (Larry @ May 13 2007,10:14)
Scott, I suppose 'no problem' is not much help, but on my system, Vista Home Premium, ATI 1650 GPU and latest driver, the brightness slider works as it should as well as the enhance contrast checkbox in 2D mode. In 3D mode, the slider does not have an effect. (That would be nice!) I cannot produce a dark gray shade however with the slider; it's aways some degree of white as I would expect.

That does help, thanks.

Do you mean that you can't get the whites to 'gray' out as in Wayne's screen shots above?  When I crank the brightness down on mine, it looks very close to that.

Brightness/contrast do work in 3D, in that "what you see is what you get".  Meaning that your current settings transfer over.

It should be easy to make the slider / checkbox affect a change in 3D.  Thanks for noticing that, it'll be in the next beta.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »
That's what I get for reading help.
Yes, it was incredibly obvious.
Window >> Image Processing >> Reset to default.

Brightness was all the way down.  I didn't find it last night.

No "dope slap" smiley?

LOL - the help!  Yep, some parts are not updated for PRO.

I think I 'approved' the wrong one, but to answer your question, you probably moved the brightness down all the way while on v3.03 - v3.05, since the "extra" gamma correction bug was making things too bright for you.

Just a guess.

Glad everything is OK.

wayne

• View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 10:15:08 AM »
This is going to be embarrassing, but in case anyone else has this issue, here's what I screwed up:

The keypad +/- will increase/decrease the zoom level.
I had been hitting the keyboard (over the enter key) +/-, which I didn't realize affected my contrast.  I didn't notice it until I came back and restarted later.

Screen contrast changes
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »
I'm still seeing this in 3.15 Pro under Vista with an NVDIA video card.  TopoFusion itself works fine, but the video brightness has to be manually reset in the NVDIA control panel upon exit.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Screen contrast changes
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 08:36:34 AM »
This sounds like a little different problem.  The issue that was fixed here had to do with the contrast changing while TF was open and a sub-window was opened.

Affecting the video card's setting is a different issue that at least one other user has raised, I believe under Vista.  We haven't been able to diagnose it, however.

I will have to install Vista on a machine to do some testing of this and the other issue you raised.

Thanks.