Author Topic: maps0.dat  (Read 4403 times)

elinenbe

• View Profile
maps0.dat
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:13:43 PM »
just out of curiosity, why just the one file?  What happens when the file gets corrupted?  I am just wondering because when I first bought the program (today) I went around the entire US and pulled down the 512M and 256M maps (to speed up browsing in the future) and the file is already over 100MB...

-eric

Alan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
maps0.dat
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 10:02:25 PM »
One file for several reasons.  First, it minimizes the amount of file system "slack" space (space wasted at the end of every file, since files must take up increments of the file allocation size).  Second, it's faster to open and read/write just one, or a few, files than hundreds or more.

What happens when it gets corrupted?  If any jpeg should fail to decode, the tile is marked bad and it will be downloaded again.  Additionally, the reload maps tool can be used to forcibly delete and re-download a tile (if for some reason the jpeg decoder is fooled into thinking it decoded correctly).

Also, the map file does split at about 650MB to allow for easy archival to CD-R.

Alan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
maps0.dat
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 10:04:47 PM »
So I should point out in regard to corruption that only the corrupted part will be lost, parts that are still good will still be used.

elinenbe

• View Profile
maps0.dat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 07:21:24 AM »
Sounds good.  Just out of curiosity how large is your archive?

Alan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
maps0.dat
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 07:23:24 AM »
About 6 gigabytes.