Author Topic: How to build on an existing 'Track'?  (Read 7029 times)

PeteCresswell

• View Profile
How to build on an existing 'Track'?
« on: December 01, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »
I've been incrementing an existing track by using the Draw Track tool, but every time I try to save, it requires me to save a new .gpx file.

Seems like I'm missing something in understanding how the app works.   Intuitively, I would expect that once I open a .gpx file, all changes that I make will be applied to that file.

Understood that when I open up TopoFusion, it automagically opens up all .gpx files in the designated "Default Tracks Directory".    But then I can "remove" undesired track files via the UI in the pane beneath the map.  After "removing" all except one file, it seems like I should at least have the option of saving TrackSeg increments into that file - as I can with WayPoints - instead of being forced to start a new file.

Right now, I'm going with the flow and saving to a new file.   Then I open up the new file with NotePad and copy the new <trkseg> into the file where I really want it.

Seems like I'm missing how to cause an incremental <trkseg> to go to one of the open files - as I am currently succesfully doing with WayPoints.

Anybody?

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 10:01:18 PM »
Seems like I'm missing something in understanding how the app works.   Intuitively, I would expect that once I open a .gpx file, all changes that I make will be applied to that file.

This isn't how it works, no.  You can have multiple files open and only changes applied to the data within a file will change that file.

Understood that when I open up TopoFusion, it automagically opens up all .gpx files in the designated "Default Tracks Directory".

No, it only automatically opens files that were open on your last session.  

I'm not sure why you want to have multiple tracks in a file?  The general design in TopoFusion is one track per file, for a number of reasons.  

Now, if you're trying to draw a track incrementally, you can draw different pieces, saving to individual files, then use the profile/merge tool to connect them all together, in order, and then save as.. to a new file.

PeteCresswell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 08:15:35 AM »
re/
>I'm not sure why you want to have multiple tracks in a file?  The general design in TopoFusion is one track per file, for a number of reasons.  

Got it. ....  Now I know.  Thanks.

>Now, if you're trying to draw a track incrementally, you can draw different pieces, saving to individual files, then use the profile/merge tool to connect them all together, in order, and then save as.. to a new file.

Sounds like the functional equivalent of my copying/pasting <trkSet> blocks.   I'll give it a try.

Drawing a track incrementally is exactly what I am doing. However I can also readily envision multiple tracks in a single file.    As I alluded to in the op, I'm aware that I am probably abusing (or at least mis-using) the product.    

The product's power to me is in marshalling various types of maps - at no cost to the user - and tying them together via Lat/Long references.     One can envision a number of uses in that context above and beyond recording a hike or bike ride.

Thanks again.

PeteCresswell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 09:01:24 AM »
Quote (Krein @ Dec. 01 2004,10:01)
I'm not sure why you want to have multiple tracks in a file?  The general design in TopoFusion is one track per file, for a number of reasons.  

One, perhaps more legitimate in the context of the application's intended use, reason to draw tracks incrementally is screen size.

Since the user cannot scroll the screen while drawing a track, they must save a segement of same before returning to the "Hand" curser and scrolling the screen to draw more of the track.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 07:56:34 PM »
Actually you can use the arrow keys to pan around the map at any time, including when you are drawing a track.

You can also switch to hand mode in the middle, just don't right click or you'll clear the drawn track.  But I use the arrow keys often.

PeteCresswell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 05:51:03 AM »
re/Arrow keys:

This thing is *really* useful.   I hope you make a bundle on it....

KanyonKris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 10:38:31 PM »
Quote (Krein @ Dec. 02 2004,7:56)
Actually you can use the arrow keys to pan around the map at any time, including when you are drawing a track.

The arrow keys work OK, but how about using the Ctrl key to toggle into Pan Map mode no matter what primary mode you are in. For instance, say I'm editing a track with the Point tool and I need to see more of the track off to the left so I hold down the Ctrl key which causes the mouse cursor to change to the Hand icon and now when I press the left mouse button I can pan the map to the left - release the Ctrl key and I'm back in Point tool mode.

I've used many programs which operate like this and it makes it incredibly easy and fast to "draw" and move around.

Or perhaps the middle mouse button could be dedicated to be the Pan button.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 08:53:04 AM »
re: ctrl key

I really like this idea.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 08:58:30 PM »
I added the ctrl-key panning and am already finding it incredibly useful.  The next beta will have it.

Thanks again.