Author Topic: Elevation profile questions  (Read 5519 times)

Bentley

• View Profile
Elevation profile questions
« on: January 10, 2005, 03:54:47 PM »
I recently came across this product, and thought I would try the demo version first to see if I liked it and so forth. I do a lot of running in the country, and while tracking distance for me is not a problem I am curious about elevation profiles during my runs. I do not run with a GPS.

In any event, I manually mapped one of my simpler runs to get a feel for the software, and then became curious about the elevation changes. I soon found out about downloading DEMS and all of that business from searching this message board.

I think I have done everything properly. There seems to be 2 DEM files needed to cover the area in my run based on the boundary co-ordinates. I downloaded these, ran them through the STDS2DEM.EXE program, made sure they were in the proper folder, etc. Still when I try to do a climbing analysis on my route, it keeps saying the track covers missing DEM files.

Is it because I'm using the Demo version of topofusion or is there something else that I am missing? Also, if I do get this working and register and purchase the product will I get more up-to-date maps? The road maps are very out of date for my area.

For reference, I pulled the Dems from this location: http://64.83.8.153/SDTS_DL_b.htm

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 05:21:39 PM »
Is it because I'm using the Demo version of topofusion or is there something else that I am missing? Also, if I do get this working and register and purchase the product will I get more up-to-date maps? The road maps are very out of date for my area.

No, the 'missing DEM' message is not due to a demo limitation.

And, no, you will not get more current maps with the full version.  Unfortunately we can only display the maps that Terraserver gives us, so it is up to them to update with more current maps.

Are you sure that the two DEM files cover the entire run?  Does the climbing analysis come up with 0 ft of climbing for all the various methods?

Bentley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 06:45:36 AM »
Thank you for the quick response. I will double check that I have all the DEM files in question later today. As for what Topofusion shows in the climbing analysis, it's zero feet for everything. When I look at the individual track points, they all have an elevation of -107499 feet.

Also, in the preferences drop down, under the units tab, I changed the datum selection to NAD27 United States. It defaulted upon install to one of the WGS values. I assumed this was the correct thing to do based on the description of the DEM files. It was just a guess on my part though.

By the way, a very fun product. I hope I can get this to work. Easily worth 40$!

Bentley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
User error. My problem was that I was taking the co-ordinates from the Topofusion map to determine the DEM files needed, and they were displayed in decimal format of degrees, not actual degrees as required by the web site. Once I did the conversion and grabbed the right files things began to work. Thanks again.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 04:41:46 PM »
Good, thanks for reporting back that it's working.

Note that TopoFusion can display coordinates in different formats so you didn't need to do the conversion.