Author Topic: Downloading Track from Vista C no workie  (Read 3174 times)

rjcarlson49

• View Profile
Downloading Track from Vista C no workie
« on: January 27, 2005, 11:43:03 AM »
My Vista C won’t seem to download.  I start the Download, selecting Tracks only and unselected "log" and "follow on map".  I am using USB to a laptop.  Laptop supports USB 2.0.  The download seems to work fine.  I can see the track appearing on the map in the background.  At the end, the GPS shows "Transfer Complete", but TopoFusion says an error has occurred in communication and to check Preferences.  I have version 2.1, downloaded from your site about 2 months ago.

BTW, I sent this message several days ago to support@topofusion.com and am disappointed to have received no reply.

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:48:51 AM »
This is a known issue and one I am trying to clear up.  I do not understand why the Garmin protocol is not behaving as a USB device is supposed to.

What happens is that the transfer completes but when we check how many trackpoints the track is supposed to have it is significantly lost -- we haven't been able to figure out why but have noticed the same problem in other GPS apps.  However, mapsource works 100% so there is a fix, we just haven't found it.

Hopefully we'll get it soon, but thanks for reporting the bug.

Unfortunately both of the authors have been out of town and things occasionally slip through.  I could have sworn I replied to the email, but I see there was someone else with the same issue -- on a VistaC.

rjcarlson49

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:50:55 AM »
Just saw this relevant post: http://topofusion.com/cgi-bin....=1;t=86

In it you suggest that the problem is intermittant.  It isn't with me.  I tried several times, including rebooting and different sequences of powering up and connecting the Vista C.  Same result each time.

A few weeks ago I did manage to upload some tracks, but I have no idea what I did differently.  I might have done this while I was still using the free demo version.

Bob

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 11:53:25 AM »
It is intermittant for me and others -- but one other person besides you has indicated that it never works, so it's moved up to a high priority item, especially since we're trying to get out a new version these days anyway.

Thanks,

rjcarlson49

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 11:56:23 AM »
Thanks for the quck response here.

My considered opinion as a software developer myself is that USB still sucks.  Every USB device I use has quirks.

I noticed another strange issue.  On the tracks I did manage to download earlier, I have some altitude values that are absurd.  Is there a way to edit them short of editing the xml file?

I have a LOT of suggestions BTW, which I will post in the appropriate place.

Cheers, Bob