Author Topic: Compatibility with Holux GPSlim236 BT  (Read 5461 times)

Daedalus991

• View Profile
Compatibility with Holux GPSlim236 BT
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »
Does TF work with Holux devices? I want to create shape files from GPS data collected using a Holux GPSlim236 -- I have some mapping software but it says that the Holux delivers too much GPS data for the software to process properly. How well does TF work with GPS devices for data collection? The Holux connects to 10-11 satellites at a time -- can TF handle that much input?

Thanks

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
Holux devices are not directly supported.  But if they support the NMEA protocol, you should be able to use live tracking with TF -- and a record a track that way.

Otherwise, what format is the data in?  TF can handle very large files with many points.  If you can get an output file from your other software (GPX maybe?) you should be able to load it up in TF.

william mcgarvin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »
I too have the Holux gpslim236 and Im having a little trouble getting it to do live tracking with TF.
I'm connecting through Blue Tooth and do not seem to have trouble at that point.  The Holux viewer software works fine and recieves data just fine.  The problem is that my Blue Tooth will only allow use of COM9.   It seems that all would be fine If I could get TF to let me connect throughanything greater than eight when NMEA is chosen while setting up the live tracking mode.
and yes, the 236 does output NMEA and I can set the baud rate on it to pretty much anything.
Any suggestions?

Is there any way to add COM port options to TF?

william mcgarvin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »
oops I found it .  I can change the COM to anything on TF through OPTIONS>GPS etc.  
Now the problem is that TF says "NO WAY,  BLUE TOOTH IS USING THAT PORT".   or something to that effect.
??
any suggestions beside get another gps?

william mcgarvin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 04:55:42 PM »
Okay,  I got it now.   I just needed to set the blue tooth connection to a different port than the gps.
So its official; the HOLUX gpslim236 does in fact work with TF.
B

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 06:53:48 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the persistence and for following up on this.

We'll make it so that future versions can set any COM port right there in the dialog.  Glad to here the holux GPS works.