Author Topic: beginner Q  (Read 3431 times)

kc0qnb

• View Profile
beginner Q
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:29:30 PM »
I have a Magellan Meridian (green) and have been looking for a suitable mapping software, after an exhaustive search, I landed here. What I want to do is this, I am a amateur radio operator, and work in emergency communications situations
I have a need to have a map of the stricken area so I can notate hazards, to comply with ICS specs. My plans are to upgrade to a permanent mount unit on our communications trailer, thereby providing a means to guide the people back "home".
Here is the deal I will arrive at the scene and drive around the perimeter on the area, save that track and import it into TopoFusion for the map. Doable?

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
beginner Q
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:06:19 PM »
Should be doable, yes.  Try it out in the demo version to see if it will fit your needs.

I don't fully understand your communication requirements, though.  You will need an active internet connection to download new maps -- or you can download all you will need in advance.

Make sense?

Good luck, sounds like a good application.

kc0qnb

• View Profile
beginner Q
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 04:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the speedy reply, I will download the maps as soon as I become aware of the incident, location information is included in the message (we hope)