Author Topic: Aerial photos  (Read 9013 times)

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« on: October 16, 2005, 01:17:28 PM »
I thought the aerial photographes were supposed to download automaticlally from the terraserver site.  I see no way to do this although I see aerials in the sample pictures of the program.
Help please!

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
    • http://www.topofusion.com/diary
Aerial photos
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 01:45:49 PM »
So you can get topo maps but not aerial photographs?

Just hit the 'T' key to switch between aerial and topo maps.  If aerials are not coming up you might be viewing the wrong area of the world.  Check that your coordinates are right, or double click on one of your GPX files to zoom/pan to it.

Aerials are downloaded automatically, but only for areas that you attempt to view (or use the auto-download tool).

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 12:57:29 PM »
Oh. Duhhh!  Pardon my stupidity.  That was simple.

A feature you should add is a fade from topo to photo. USAPhotoMap has this feature but the programmer has stopped supporting the program.

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 12:57:50 PM »
Oh. Duhhh!  Pardon my stupidity.  That was simple.

A feature you should add is a fade from topo to photo. USAPhotoMap has this feature but the programmer has stopped supporting the program.

tdcarter

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 01:49:57 PM »
Fade? Like the combo maps with overlay of aerial/topo?

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 07:38:41 AM »
I think he means a short fade sequence when you switch from topo to aerial.

We thought about that, but decided a super fast switch is more useful.  But it still would be pretty cool.

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 07:42:02 AM »
The aerial photo overlayed on the topo does not work for my area (43.88711 N, 84.22620). For some reason the elevation changes in the photo do not line up with the topo lines. The shapes of the elevation lines on the photo are not always even the same shape as the topo lines.  Since my area is relatively flat and wooded, topo accuracy is critical in order to place myself correctly.

So I use USAPhotoMaps program to view because it allows fading-out/fade-in between the two maps (topo & photo).  As the topo fades out and the photo fades in there is that split second when the eye "sees" both pictures at the same time, allowing me to see exactly where a high or low spot appears on an aerial shot.  The speed of the fade-in, fade-out is adjustable.

I wouldn't worry about competition from the USAPhotoMaps program as the author told me he wasn't updating it anymore. In time I expect other programs to far out-perform his, has Topofusion does now in most cases.

Do you except Paypal payments? I'd like to purchase Topofusion. Your program is great and well worth the $40.

- Kent Eddy

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 07:46:24 AM »
an error (see below) but you still receive the message :

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin@topofusion.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.52 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.52 OpenSSL/0.9.7d PHP/4.4.0RC1 Server at topofusion.com Port 80

Krein

• Global Moderator
  • TopoFusion Author
    • View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 07:49:11 AM »
Yep, thanks for the info on the error.  I just made an announcement about it (we can't get email either).

Purchases will still work.

We do have a paypal account that you can pay too.  However, since it is tied to a @topofusion.com address, right now we wouldn't receive a notice that a payment was made.  So as soon as the email issue gets cleared up I will post here and you can use paypal.

Sorry about the problem.

Regarding the fade -- if it's off in combo mode it should be off when fading in/out.  I guess I don't see how this is different or how it helps your mind correct for errors in registration (due to Terraserver, not TopoFusion or USAphotomaps).

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 06:52:08 AM »
Maybe I'm not doing something right.  It looks like in Window/Image Process in that the topo map can be overlayed onto the photo.  I can get a 3D overlayed on the photo but not the "pure" topo map (the one which shows green for wooded areas, white for open areas and fields, and grass symbol for marshes).  How do I do this?

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 06:57:54 AM »
Forget it.  I found the "-topo" slide button.  

COOL!

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 07:38:37 AM »
Any way to change the color of from purple to green?  The woods around here are green.  ;-)

Regarding your comment:
"Regarding the fade -- if it's off in combo mode it should be off when fading in/out. I guess I don't see how this is different or how it helps your mind correct for errors in registration (due to Terraserver, not TopoFusion or USAphotomaps)."

If you are referring to the 3D being turned off in combo mode, that is correct.  I don't use the 3D ability of the photo.  I used the topo-to-photo fade and back-again.  My experience is that the topo map is more correct than the 3D, so I fade between photo and topo several times.  Could it be that the 3D elevations are incorrect because of trees?  Maybe the 3D elevations are actually treetops? This could explain why some elevation changes are not seen.... although now that I think about it doesn't seem likely.

kseddy

• View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 09:54:23 AM »
Please forward email address for PayPal payment. Thanks.

Alan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Aerial photos
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 11:16:35 AM »