Author Topic: 3D Mode Rotation Controls  (Read 4560 times)

alizhan

• View Profile
3D Mode Rotation Controls
« on: April 23, 2005, 11:06:10 PM »
It would be nice if the arrow keys worked as axial rotations in 3D mode. Using the mouse I always manage to get the map cocked off to the side pretty quickly because my cursor is not exactly centered on the screen, or drifts to the side as I drag it. The arrow keys would be much more precise.

The UP and DOWN arrows would rotate the image about the horizontal centerline of the display; the LEFT and RIGHT arrows would rotate the image about the vertical centerline. I would suggest having the plain arrow keys be macro adjustments (say, 10 degrees per press by default), and SHIFT+arrow be micro adjustments (1 degree per press).

Alan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:05:46 PM »
That's a great idea.  I have incorporated your suggestion and it will be available in the next release.  Thanks!

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 06:02:56 AM »
I like the ability to  drag the 3D view with the mouse and am getting more adept with it, but I too think it would be great to also be able to use the keyboard arrows.

I just got the NGS Topo! Streets & 3D Views Expansion Pack, and I'm really enjoying the 3D features which allow you to quite easily 'fly' over the terrain, looking in any direction as you do it.

The controls are as follows:
up arrow; go forward
down arrow; go backwards
left arrow; turn left
right arrow; turn right
Ctrl; pans left (moves the view point perpindicular to the direction viewed)
0 / Ins; pans right
Page Up; look up
Page Down; look down
Home: increase elevation (as measured from the terrain directly below, allowing you to fly maintaining a constant elv. from the ground)
End: decrease elevation
There is a slider bar to contol the speed at which you move.

It's all quite intuitive and I find easy to use with just a bit of practice.

It would be super if TopoFusion could use the same system!
I'm not sure, but I think that this would also let you use a joystick for control.

Larry